Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

Unable to create an outbound smtp server.

Phil988

Installed Thunderbird in August 26. Successfully added Outlook and Gmail accounts (send and receive)

On a roll I then tried to migrate from Plusnet to Greenby. Can successfully receive emails via IMAP.plus.net server. But could not send mails from Greenby (other accounts still OK)

Traced problem via forum query 31???? to inability to create a new SMTP server for outbound mail. After entering all data in the outbound server there is no response whatsoever to clicking add button (ie no error messages or servers added to SMTP list)

Then tried to delete the partially active Greenby account via clicking delete button in account setting window. No response. Account still present.

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this before I try the doomsday action of deleting and reinstalling Thunderbird.

TIA Phil

Installed Thunderbird in August 26. Successfully added Outlook and Gmail accounts (send and receive) On a roll I then tried to migrate from Plusnet to Greenby. Can successfully receive emails via IMAP.plus.net server. But could not send mails from Greenby (other accounts still OK) Traced problem via forum query 31???? to inability to create a new SMTP server for outbound mail. After entering all data in the outbound server there is no response whatsoever to clicking add button (ie no error messages or servers added to SMTP list) Then tried to delete the partially active Greenby account via clicking delete button in account setting window. No response. Account still present. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this before I try the doomsday action of deleting and reinstalling Thunderbird. TIA Phil
Ler a resposta no contexto

Chosen Solution

All Replies (8)

Your doomsday approach will likely achieve exactly nothing. It does have an effect with Microsoft products that rewrite their registry entries when you reinstall and they store everything in the Registry. It does nothing for Thunderbird because it largely does not use the registry at all.

Now, I do not have version 155, but I do have a daily build of 158. When I click the add button for an SMTP server I get this dialog.

Do you get to that point?

I have no idea why there would not have been an outgoing server added when the account was initially added. That is generally what normally happens. So make sure there is nothing in the list of SMTP servers that I have included in the background.

Thanks for the reply Matt

I get to the add server screen but, after adding Greenby data, cannot get past that point. The only servers I can select are Outlook and Gmail.

See image

So what happens when you click save? Open the error console (ctrl+Shift+J) clear it and press save on the completed details.

What shows then in the error console? I would assume some sort of error if it does not add!

Matt,

Error log shown in attachment. At last an indication of a problem

BTW . Google/AI suggested deleting The Thunderbird profile.ini file to remove all user data and set Thunderbird back to as just downloaded. Could this help?

Google/IA often isn't correct.

Chosen Solution

This solution worked. BUT I had to remove user data directory, uninstall Thunderbird, then reinstall Thunderbird.

Thanks Wayne

FWIW,

Phil988 said

This solution worked. BUT I had to remove user data directory, uninstall Thunderbird, then reinstall Thunderbird. Thanks Wayne

Thanks for posting your results.

FWIW reinstall rarely helps solve anything. I suspect in your case it was unnecessary, and redoing the profile was all that was needed.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2069949 should be in next week's version 157.

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.