Why does my Firefox freeze when I open my news feed on Facebook?
For a few days now, everytime I go to my news feed on Facebook, Firefox freezes and I have to force it to stop. This means everytime I click on the Facebook logo or go to www.facebook.com.
I have already reinitialised Firefox, but that doesn't help the problem. Why is this happening?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Toont de inhoud van de Java-applet of een plaatsaanduiding als Java niet is geïnstalleerd.
- Met de QuickTime-plugin kunt u een grote verscheidenheid aan multimediamateriaal op webpagina's bekijken. Raadpleeg voor meer informatie de website van QuickTime.
- DivX Plus Web Player version 220.127.116.11
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.6.3
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- doubleTwist Web Plugin
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Clear the cache and the cookies from sites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
If clearing cookies doesn't work then it is possible that the cookies.sqlite file that stores the cookies is corrupted.
Rename (or delete) cookies.sqlite (cookies.sqlite.old) and delete other present cookie files like cookies.sqlite-journal in the Firefox Profile Folder in case the file cookies.sqlite got corrupted.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
Ok... I found a temporarily fix... go to facebook.com, then click the (X) button in the bar to make the page stop loading. it should only be half loaded... if firefox locks up, you waited too long. Click on your name in the corner. Then when that loads, click home, next to your name!!!!! There is your news feed! Hope this works... It worked for me. Enjoy!!!