Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Stop autoloading as I type in the location bar.

mkybell

I realized today that if I pasted text into the location bar that it automatically did a search through Google. I wanted to stop this behavior so I looked into it. I ended up trying changing keyword.enabled from true to false. It didn't do what I wanted. Now whenever I type into the location bar Firefox not only opens a drop down menu with suggestions but immediately loads the closest one with each character entered. I need to get back to where I started and be able to type in the location bar without any page loading. I tried switching keyword.enabled back and forth but the browser won't stop this new behavior.

I realized today that if I pasted text into the location bar that it automatically did a search through Google. I wanted to stop this behavior so I looked into it. I ended up trying changing keyword.enabled from true to false. It didn't do what I wanted. Now whenever I type into the location bar Firefox not only opens a drop down menu with suggestions but immediately loads the closest one with each character entered. I need to get back to where I started and be able to type in the location bar without any page loading. I tried switching keyword.enabled back and forth but the browser won't stop this new behavior.

All Replies (1)

Chosen Solution

Nevermind. It was an option for an add-on that I use to count words on a webpage. I didn't know that instant search was part of the add-on.