Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
This thread was closed and archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Locked Archived

Cannot load extensions with background scripts

SuMo Bot

I am trying to make an extension for my personal use. I started writing a couple lines of code and it works in google chrome, but the same extension gives me an error on firefox.

The extension needs only a background script and needs to listen for tab creation events.

I went to about:debugging and clicked on "Load temporary add-on" and selected my extension's manifest file, it loads, but the console.log calls doesn't work. I noticed it gives me a warning Loading failed for the <script> with source “moz-extension://....../background.js”. with the if of the extension.

I looked a bit on the internet and disabled all addons and started firefox in safe mode, but the warning still persists. I tried to add a background page instead of a script and just calling console.log in that but that still didn't work.

In the end, I went to mozilla's example extensions webpage and installed a couple of them, but none of them worked, so the problem isn't in my code.

Is there any way i can fix this? I can't get a more descriptive error than laoding failed.

I am trying to make an extension for my personal use. I started writing a couple lines of code and it works in google chrome, but the same extension gives me an error on firefox. The extension needs only a background script and needs to listen for tab creation events. I went to about:debugging and clicked on "Load temporary add-on" and selected my extension's manifest file, it loads, but the console.log calls doesn't work. I noticed it gives me a warning Loading failed for the <script> with source “moz-extension://....../background.js”. with the if of the extension. I looked a bit on the internet and disabled all addons and started firefox in safe mode, but the warning still persists. I tried to add a background page instead of a script and just calling console.log in that but that still didn't work. In the end, I went to mozilla's example extensions webpage and installed a couple of them, but none of them worked, so the problem isn't in my code. Is there any way i can fix this? I can't get a more descriptive error than laoding failed.

All Replies (1)

Try the Discourse Add-ons Development forum.

This question has been locked because the original author has deleted their account. While you can no longer post new replies, the existing content remains available for reference.