Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

I tried to turn off "remember passwords for sites" option but when I get out of Firefox and back in, the option is turned on. Help page solutions don't work.

DanielMartin

This is a general problem I have with saving options. It only started a few days ago.

I have experienced it in 37.0.2 and 38.0.5.

Help page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-fix-preferences-wont-save

contains several solutions. I tried them all and they don't work. Please advise.

This is a general problem I have with saving options. It only started a few days ago. I have experienced it in 37.0.2 and 38.0.5. Help page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-fix-preferences-wont-save contains several solutions. I tried them all and they don't work. Please advise.
Read this answer in context

Chosen Solution

Both the suggested solutions were things I'd tried already without success.

What eventually did work after much trial and error: 1. Backup all my bookmarks. 2. Uninstall Firefox. 3. Reinstall Firefox but important! not start it immediately after installation! 4. Run firefox.exe -p from the command window. 5. In the profile manager, delete all existing profiles and create a fresh one. 6. Start Firefox, import bookmarks and set options.

The options now get saved!

All Replies (4)

Please update to the most recent version of Firefox:

Chosen Solution

Both the suggested solutions were things I'd tried already without success.

What eventually did work after much trial and error: 1. Backup all my bookmarks. 2. Uninstall Firefox. 3. Reinstall Firefox but important! not start it immediately after installation! 4. Run firefox.exe -p from the command window. 5. In the profile manager, delete all existing profiles and create a fresh one. 6. Start Firefox, import bookmarks and set options.

The options now get saved!

That was very good work. Well Done.