This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
The genealogy site https://familysearch.org/search is stuck in firefox, even in safe mode.
This applies to linux as well as to windows 7, 64bit, enterprise (FF20.0.1).
The page opens and the blue search bottom is stuck with "Loading". Normally it shows "Search"
The site is working well with IE9.
All Replies (14)
Many site issues can be caused by corrupt cookies or cache. In order to try to fix these problems, the first step is to clear both cookies and the cache. Note: This will temporarily log you out of all sites you're logged in to. To clear cache and cookies do the following:
- Go to Firefox > History > Clear recent history or (if no Firefox button is shown) go to Tools > Clear recent history.
- Under "Time range to clear", select "Everything".
- Now, click the arrow next to Details to toggle the Details list active.
- From the details list, check Cache and Cookies and uncheck everything else.
- Now click the Clear now button.
Further information can be found in the Clear your cache, history and other personal information in Firefox article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
this I tried before posting the message. In addition the problem exist on different computers with different operations systems (and different history). Does yours suggestion imply that you could not reproduce it? This would be a hint.
Yep, it works fine for me. Your next step is to try a Firefox Reset Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings
In what way is that website not working?
Does this already happen with the main login page?
Try to disable IPv6.
You can try to reset (power off/on) the router.
If it happens on other OS as well then it is not very likely that a reset (new profile) will fix this and you need to look for common components that are used in all setups.
Modified by cor-el
thanks to Tylerdowner and cor-el. Indeed it seems to be a problem with the profile. Starting firefox in safe-mode did NOT help, but running it with a new profile (firefox -p) did work, both on windows and linux. The two profiles were identical about two years ago when I copied the profile from one to the other machine. Network problems can be excluded since I tried from completely different networks and the page load, i.e. the address is resolved. However, the gets stuck when I try searching. The blue search bottom shows "LOADING" instead of "SEARCH". Maybe a js problem. I will now try to figure out what in the profile causes the problem even in safe-mode with all plugins/add-ons disabled.
indeed the "reset" did the job. No idea what was wrong.
Did you find what was causing the problem? I don't want to delete my profile if I can avoid it.
You can check for problems with preferences and rename or delete the prefs.js file and possible numbered prefs-##.js files and a possible user.js file to reset all prefs to the default value.
Reload web page(s) and bypass the cache to refresh possibly outdated or corrupted files.
- Hold down the Shift key and left-click the Reload button
- Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
- Press "Command + Shift + R" (Mac)
Clear the cache and the cookies from websites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
Thanks. Don't have time to play right now but will give your suggestions a go.
The only one that worked was renaming prefs.js. However I have restored it for now as I would like to narrow it down further.
Maybe check for modified network.http.* prefs.
no I find not, but the profile had been copied several times and maybe parts were just obsolete or incompatible. I did the reset proposed by Tylerdowner and everything worked fine. Most data were conserved like passwords. The search engines were lost and maybe the forms entries. You can just copy the profile before trying a reset.
Nope! "network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server;6" was modified so reset to default. Still the same.
I'll be out of town for a few days so don't bother to reply. Thanks anyway.
Modified by geecee