outgoing smtp server rejects emails
ever since last update... can't send emails
Send Message Error Sending of the message failed. An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: E5rTxqhwZYbiPE5rUxBTZm DMARC Policy Enforcement: https://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#ODM00001. Please check the message and try again.
All Replies (7)
Who is your email provider?
What version of Thunderbird?
What Antivirus or other Internet security software or VPN software do you use, if any?
This is a message from Comcast, relayed to you by Thunderbird. The link included in the error message describes the error message in semi-technical terms:
"ODM00001: Mail I'm sending from Comcast was rejected and returned an error message containing the code ODM00001. What does this mean?
This error applies to our outbound systems. When a sender attempts to use a domain in the From address which is protected by a DMARC "reject" policy, and we have no method by which we can properly provide authentication (SPF or DKIM) for the message, our systems will not accept those messages. DMARC (RFC7489) is a system where the domain owner has declared a policy for how unauthenticated messages should be treated."
If your provider is Comcast, I might interpret this as saying you are using a From address that they can't authenticate. Otherwise, I don't know what it means exactly. Your first step would be to verify your server settings with those published by your email provider.
I do find mention of this error code on an Xfinity information page:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-errors
ODM00001 - Meaning: This message was rejected by the Xfinity outbound mail servers due to Xfinity’s published DMARC policy. The message has not passed either DKIM or SPF authentication for the domain. For more on DMARC, go to dmarc.org.
Fix: If you need more help: - Go to the Customer Security Assurance website (https://spa.xfinity.com/help/) - Click the Postmaster square. - Scan the FAQs for your issue. - If your issue is not fixed, scroll down to click Report an issue.
comcast 157.0.1 none
So why wasn't there a problem until the Oct 1st Thunderbird update? Seems that information sent to the smtp server by Thunderbird has been changed and it's now getting flagged.
Gewysig op
What is your operating system?
Does this still happen when you restart Thunderbird in Troubleshoot Mode? (See <Help | Troubleshoot Mode>.)
It works perfectly for me, and I find no other mention of problems like yours. There are many users of TB 157.0.1, presumably plenty of them use Comcast. I have to conclude that there's something peculiar about your system.
Here are my working Comcast settings. How do they compare with yours?
IMAP (Incoming): Incoming Server Type: IMAP Mail Server Incoming Server Name: imap.comcast.net Port: 993 User Name: <my email address> Connection Security: SSL/TLS Authentication method: OAuth2
SMTP (Outgoing): SMTP Server Name: smtp.comcast.net Port: 465 Connection Security: SSL/TLS Authentication method: OAuth2 User Name: <my email address>
I have no problem sending emails from comcast when I am identifying with my Comcast email address. It's when I enter my default identity email address setting as the one I use e.g. rich129@mycompany.com
Gewysig op
I guess I don't understand what you're doing. Are you trying to send out messages for another provider's account through Comcast's SMTP servers? Are you using Thunderbird's Identities feature to control that?
Did you confirm your server settings as I suggested? Including the identity you are using for this message?
I just created a test identity in my Comcast account that uses one of my Yahoo addresses in the address field, and tried to send a messages to a Gmail address. Comcast returned the same error message you received:
"Sending of the message failed. - An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: FGs4xDD6k1tJiFGs5xdsDA DMARC Policy Enforcement: https://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#ODM00001. Please check the message and try again."
Apparently, this configuration is not permitted by Comcast's security policies. It also seems to be affected by the host of the address you're using, eg "mycompany.com" - I tried a version of the identity using the address of an account on a small free web host I use - and the message was sent and delivered, though it was seen as spam by the receiver, Yahoo.
This is not a Thunderbird issue. If there is any resolution to be had, it would have to come from Comcast/Xfinity and perhaps by "mycompany.com".
By the way, I did the same test I described above with Thunderbird version 115.18.0 on Windows 7, and I got the same DMARC rejection message, which indicates that it has nothing to do with a recent Thunderbird update.
thanks for going through all that. much appreciated. I didn't want to go back a version to see if that worked so it saved a lot of headache. I created a new acct in Thunderbird and set it up using comcast email identity and it's fine - so apparently they just don't want me to use my company email anymore as of Oct 1st. I'll go back to them and keep pushing - worked before why not now?