Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

the Firefox translate is being weird

miitu1

I have set the "Translate Selected" to be English. it suggests Finnish to me. I do not want this there is no option to make it only translate selected to English. I do not want it to be Finnish. I only want things Translated to English. Please give me option to only translate to languages I want. Or make the System settings Respect my choices. Thank you.

I have set the "Translate Selected" to be English. it suggests Finnish to me. I do not want this there is no option to make it only translate selected to English. I do not want it to be Finnish. I only want things Translated to English. Please give me option to only translate to languages I want. Or make the System settings Respect my choices. Thank you.

All Replies (5)

Gekose oplossing

Try resetting the translation preference in Firefox:

1. Type `about:config` in the address bar and press Enter. 2. Click Accept the Risk and Continue. 3. Search for `browser.translations.mostRecentTargetLanguages`. 4. Click the Reset button on the right if it’s showing a custom value. 5. Restart Firefox and try Translate Selected again.

After that, set English as the target language when you translate a selection. Firefox should remember that choice instead of automatically picking Finnish.

It’s a bit ridiculous that there isn’t a simple setting to say “only translate to English,” but resetting that preference is worth trying.

Gewysig op deur malcolmparked

Bonjour

Maybe, you can try, reset the preference, about:config browser.translations.mostRecentTargetLanguages

For illustration https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1535724 And, according to the translations log, for information purposes.

It means it thinks it's already in English hence looking for next options. Which also means the translation will be nonsense eventually. You might need to select longer text, or just click through to the translation in "wrong" language and then rectify the language pair+direction in the dialog.

The local model doesn't "know" things, it only guesses trying to infer the best match. The shorter the selected text, the worse the guesstimate results to offer anything meaningful.

Here is the tracking bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1962134 if you have anything to add to the timeline from your experience? Thanks!

malcolmparked said

Try resetting the translation preference in Firefox: 1. Type `about:config` in the address bar and press Enter. 2. Click Accept the Risk and Continue. 3. Search for `browser.translations.mostRecentTargetLanguages`. 4. Click the Reset button on the right if it’s showing a custom value. 5. Restart Firefox and try Translate Selected again. After that, set English as the target language when you translate a selection. Firefox should remember that choice instead of automatically picking Finnish. It’s a bit ridiculous that there isn’t a simple setting to say “only translate to English,” but resetting that preference is worth trying.

This seems to have worked thank you very much for this.

jbr said

It means it thinks it's already in English hence looking for next options. Which also means the translation will be nonsense eventually. You might need to select longer text, or just click through to the translation in "wrong" language and then rectify the language pair+direction in the dialog. The local model doesn't "know" things, it only guesses trying to infer the best match. The shorter the selected text, the worse the guesstimate results to offer anything meaningful. Here is the tracking bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1962134 if you have anything to add to the timeline from your experience? Thanks!

The issue was, that I was trying to translate Norwegian text to English, but it auto-suggested to Finnish, rather than English which I use, and was a thing that it used to do in the past. Thankfully malcolmparked and Agent virtuel ¨s replies were very much helpful and fixed the issue for me following their guidance.

Vra 'n vraag

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.