Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Browsing Data-Manage Exceptions won't stick between sessions

timetohelpme

For the last several weeks, one of my computers when it updated to the new settings menu (version 156ish?), it has lost the ability to maintain some of the synced profile settings. For example, I have a couple websites that I list in the exceptions to not have Firefox clear the cookies, and I additionally have the clear cookies and site data check box enabled so that every other website I visit clears upon exiting. This is the setting combination I have utilized for years to keep the cookies from only 2 websites and clear out everything else.

On one of my computers, I'm able to add the exception, and as long as I do not close Firefox, the website exception settings stick. However, as soon as I exit Firefox, and open it back up, the settings clear themselves again, and I have to manually enter the exceptions again. This is very frustrating because one of the sites that I keep the cookies on the exception list has multiple different logins saved so that I don't have to manually re-login to every time I open Firefox.

I have attempted a refresh, and that did not fix the problem. I have fully uninstalled Firefox, manually deleted the %APPDATA%\Mozilla\ folder contents, reinstalled foxfire and this too does not fix the problem.

The weirdest part of this whole issue is my laptop, does not have this problem and the exceptions are sticking so I know that this setting combo works. Additionally, I have tried unchecking the clear cookies and site data box and this too is not allowing the exceptions to stick.

I have also tried re-syncing my account to pull the settings from my laptop and this too is not working.

This experience is on Firefox 157.0.1 (64-bit), Windows 11 Pro 26H2

Thanks for your time and please advise as to how to fix.

For the last several weeks, one of my computers when it updated to the new settings menu (version 156ish?), it has lost the ability to maintain some of the synced profile settings. For example, I have a couple websites that I list in the exceptions to not have Firefox clear the cookies, and I additionally have the clear cookies and site data check box enabled so that every other website I visit clears upon exiting. This is the setting combination I have utilized for years to keep the cookies from only 2 websites and clear out everything else. On one of my computers, I'm able to add the exception, and as long as I do not close Firefox, the website exception settings stick. However, as soon as I exit Firefox, and open it back up, the settings clear themselves again, and I have to manually enter the exceptions again. This is very frustrating because one of the sites that I keep the cookies on the exception list has multiple different logins saved so that I don't have to manually re-login to every time I open Firefox. I have attempted a refresh, and that did not fix the problem. I have fully uninstalled Firefox, manually deleted the %APPDATA%\Mozilla\ folder contents, reinstalled foxfire and this too does not fix the problem. The weirdest part of this whole issue is my laptop, does not have this problem and the exceptions are sticking so I know that this setting combo works. Additionally, I have tried unchecking the clear cookies and site data box and this too is not allowing the exceptions to stick. I have also tried re-syncing my account to pull the settings from my laptop and this too is not working. This experience is on Firefox 157.0.1 (64-bit), Windows 11 Pro 26H2 Thanks for your time and please advise as to how to fix.

All Replies (2)

Also to add to the discussion, I had additionally attempted to add the exceptions to the history section below it, and this too is not sticking. This is based on the info at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1599157 describing the split. (Which thanks for doing that on the back end)

I think there's a catch 22 somewhere if you clear site permissions on exit, it also removes any exceptions at the same time. Could you verify you're not removing those on shutdown? (it's the last checkbox in the panel IIRC)

Tanya soalan

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.