Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Tabs no longer remember the file location of local folders

mellalieua

Hi, since the latest update, whenever I'm in a tab (e.g. email or personal website) and I go to upload files, all tabs show the last location of the last upload from any tab whereas previously they showed the location of the relevant tab. E.g. on a tab for my website it would previously open the location of my website files and if I switch to my email tab it would open the location of my email attachments. Now it doesn't seem to remember the loaction by individual tab it just starts in the location of the used loaction across all tabs.

Not sure if that makes sense, it's very annoying as I have to keep searching the location again between tabs.

Can this be changed back please so it remembers locations on a individual tab basis and not globally?

Thanks

Hi, since the latest update, whenever I'm in a tab (e.g. email or personal website) and I go to upload files, all tabs show the last location of the last upload from any tab whereas previously they showed the location of the relevant tab. E.g. on a tab for my website it would previously open the location of my website files and if I switch to my email tab it would open the location of my email attachments. Now it doesn't seem to remember the loaction by individual tab it just starts in the location of the used loaction across all tabs. Not sure if that makes sense, it's very annoying as I have to keep searching the location again between tabs. Can this be changed back please so it remembers locations on a individual tab basis and not globally? Thanks

All Replies (6)

Hi mellalieua,

Yes, that makes sense. It sounds like Firefox used to remember a separate upload location for each tab, but since the latest update it is now using the last location selected across all tabs.

Could you let us know which operating system you are using (Windows, macOS, Linux, etc.) and which version of Firefox you have? You can find the Firefox version under Help > About Firefox.

There have been some recent reports of changes to how Firefox remembers upload locations, particularly when using the system file picker on Linux. Once we know your operating system and Firefox version, we can check whether this is the same issue and whether there is a setting or workaround available.

Thanks.

Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply, I'm running Firefox Version 157.0 (64-bit) on Win 10 Home version 22H2.

Regards

Hi mellalieua,

Thanks, that helps. Since you're using Firefox 157.0 on Windows 10 and the problem also affects another profile, this does look more like a Firefox change or regression than something specific to your profile.

Firefox is normally able to remember the last upload location for individual websites, so having the same location shared across tabs is not the expected behaviour.

I would avoid changing anything in about:config for now, especially since you're on Windows. Could you try Firefox in Troubleshoot Mode and see whether the file picker still behaves this way? If it does, that would make an extension or customisation much less likely to be responsible.

If it also happens in Troubleshoot Mode, I think this would be worth reporting as a Firefox bug, particularly since you can reproduce it consistently in Firefox 157.0.

Thanks Max, I'll try it in troubleshoot mode.

Hi again,

Thanks for testing that. Since you're on Windows 10, the Linux-specific file-picker issues I found are unlikely to apply here.

If the problem still occurs in Troubleshoot Mode, please let us know. In that case, given that it is reproducible in Firefox 157 and across profiles, I think reporting it as a Firefox bug would be the appropriate next step. There are already recent Firefox 157 reports of file-handling regressions, so the version information and exact steps you provided would be useful in a bug report.

Hi Max. Yes it still does it in Troubleshoot mode. I'm going to try a few other things and then report if I don't find a solution. Kind regards.

Tanya soalan

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.