Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

More ads with adblocker enabled than without

peter18

I am using firefox for iOS, v156.1 and have been very excited when I learned about the new, integrated adblocker function. I am using strict tracking protection and private tabs. Brave browser does a fantastic job to block ads, and I was expecting similar performance. However, when I enable the new adblocker function, I do get MORE instead of LESS ads...? Please try yourself, visit the site https://www.spiegel.de with and without adblocker, with tracking protection enabled and set to strict. With adblocker disabled, there is no ad shown, just black zones where ads have been blocked. With adblocker enabled, I get multiple ads displayed, quite annoyingly. Please help me understand if this is intended behavior, or if I am doing something wrong. Thank you very much Peter

PS: Just found this discussion: https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/ios-ad-blocker-experiment/m-p/133902 Unfortunately I am not alone, and this is expected behavior, i.e. useless for me. I am very disappointed :(

I am using firefox for iOS, v156.1 and have been very excited when I learned about the new, integrated adblocker function. I am using strict tracking protection and private tabs. Brave browser does a fantastic job to block ads, and I was expecting similar performance. However, when I enable the new adblocker function, I do get MORE instead of LESS ads...? Please try yourself, visit the site https://www.spiegel.de with and without adblocker, with tracking protection enabled and set to strict. With adblocker disabled, there is no ad shown, just black zones where ads have been blocked. With adblocker enabled, I get multiple ads displayed, quite annoyingly. Please help me understand if this is intended behavior, or if I am doing something wrong. Thank you very much Peter PS: Just found this discussion: https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/ios-ad-blocker-experiment/m-p/133902 Unfortunately I am not alone, and this is expected behavior, i.e. useless for me. I am very disappointed :(

Diubah oleh peter18

All Replies (1)

I think this got reported from the early phases of testing — not sure if there's any update, just confirming it's currently known (there seems to be a few German sites specifically that maybe use some clever first–party code around GDPR data transfers so are large enough and also media houses they can basically bend the landscape that normally tells which is a third party or not — where this adblock fails in the same way).

Thanks for the report, the examples are important! The several major German sites have apparently avid readers even internally in the company, so these have been reported very early on;)

Tanya soalan

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.