Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

കൂടുതലറിയുക
Solved Archived

On my Macbook when logging on certain websites the page only shows some gurbled chinese characters.

shahalam39276

When I log on to my banking on-line web address or my company's secure website the page comes garbled with some Chinese characters but the same page comes OK on Safari.

When I log on to my banking on-line web address or my company's secure website the page comes garbled with some Chinese characters but the same page comes OK on Safari.
Read this answer in context

Chosen Solution

The default is used when a server doesn't send an encoding.
The default encoding is Western (ISO-8859-1), so it is best to use that setting.
If pages do give problems then they may need UTF-8 or a specific Windows encoding, that you can easily change via the Character Encoding menu now you know where to find it.

എല്ലാ മറുപടികളും (7)

Which encoding is used?

  • Firefox > Web Developer > Character Encoding
  • View > Character Encoding

If an UTF-16 encoding is used then try UTF-8 or a Western encoding (ISO-8859-1)

Many Thanks, The problem is solved with your tips. Much appreciated.

Modified by shahalam39276

Any idea why this happened, this wasn't there before but suddenly came up, I haven't made any changes though. Should I do the same action when I have problems like this?

You're welcome

What is the default encoding?

  • Tools > Options > Content : Fonts & Colors > Advanced > Default Character Encoding

Default encoding is UTF-16, What should I change this to?

Chosen Solution

The default is used when a server doesn't send an encoding.
The default encoding is Western (ISO-8859-1), so it is best to use that setting.
If pages do give problems then they may need UTF-8 or a specific Windows encoding, that you can easily change via the Character Encoding menu now you know where to find it.

Thanks once again for the help.