Showing questions for topic:

Having ManagedBookmarks show up in address bar suggestions

In `policies.json`, I use this: ``` { "policies": { "SearchBar": "unified", "ManagedBookmarks": [ { "name": "curl", "url": "https://curl.se/" … (hamaky bebe kokoa)

In `policies.json`, I use this:

``` {

 "policies": {
   "SearchBar": "unified",
   "ManagedBookmarks": [
     {
       "name": "curl",
       "url": "https://curl.se/"
     }
   ]
 }

} ```

However, when typing `curl` into the address bar, the bookmark is not suggested. When I visit `curl.se` and manually add it as a bookmark, Firefox does suggest it in the address bar afterwards.

Is there a way to replicate the latter behavior with the former mechanism? The Bookmarks policy did this, but it appears to be deprecated.

Open 1

Firefox on Mac requires double click on search suggestions vs single click on Chromium. Is this normal?

Is it just me or is this a Firefox on Mac thing? Whenever I type in a search box on a website like Google or YouTube or whatever and the suggestions pop up, I have to cli… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

Is it just me or is this a Firefox on Mac thing? Whenever I type in a search box on a website like Google or YouTube or whatever and the suggestions pop up, I have to click twice to actually select one. First click does nothing and second click finally works. Same exact sites on Chrome or Brave Origin and one click works right away.

It happens almost everywhere. It is super annoying once you notice it. Is there a setting for this or is it just how Firefox handles things on macOS?

Open 2

absolutely giant quicksuggest-amp.sql file taking up 2gb of space.

what it says on the tin. went data purging with ol reliable WinDirStat and found this absolute behemoth of a file in the profiles directory for firefox. its especially we… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

what it says on the tin. went data purging with ol reliable WinDirStat and found this absolute behemoth of a file in the profiles directory for firefox. its especially weird considering the entire Firefox directory itself is only 1.5GB with this menace taking 1.3 of it. I cant imagine that bookmarks, search history, passwords, the works takes up any more than about 300mb. so im wondering if im just stuck in the early days of data or if the file really is just that girthy.

Solved 8 1103

How do I remove "add sitename"* from Search bar drop-down menu?

How do I remove "add sitename"* from Search bar drop-down menu? sitename refers to whatever site you are on at the time I have no use for this option and find it overly… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

How do I remove "add sitename"* from Search bar drop-down menu?

  • sitename refers to whatever site you are on at the time

I have no use for this option and find it overly invasive. I have searched everywhere for solutions and have not found any that work. If it is not currently "removable", please make it so.

Thanks

Solved 2 10

Domain normalisation is corrupting

I am in the UK. I happen to have used amazon UK enough recently that it gets into the top-8 history in the address bar on a new tab. And then the Amazon sponsorship – whi… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

I am in the UK. I happen to have used amazon UK enough recently that it gets into the top-8 history in the address bar on a new tab.

And then the Amazon sponsorship – which is turned off in settings – corrupts it and "normalises" it to reference amazon.com. Screenshot attached with the misalignment highlighted.

Of what possible use is it to surface a top recently-used site when the address gets corrupted so it does not point to the site that has been used? This is idiotic.

Hint. When sponsored sites are turned off, respect that choice. Do not allow them to corrupt the experience. And even if it weren't a corruption introduced at Amazon's behest, domain normalisation is absurd when the site in question is geographically distinct. There is no possible excuse for it.

Open 1 10

Why does "Manage AI Controls" come up in URL bar when I start typing for website?

So when I start to type `dis` in the URL bar to bring up Discord (yes, I use the Web version), I've started to see `Manage AI Controls`. This makes no sense to me. I have… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

So when I start to type `dis` in the URL bar to bring up Discord (yes, I use the Web version), I've started to see `Manage AI Controls`. This makes no sense to me. I have all those set to block. And `dis` doesn't appear at all anywhere in that setting title. Yet when I start typing in `ai`, that setting doesn't come up.

Something is fishy here.

This is v154.0.1 on Debian/Testing, from Mozilla repository.

Open 7 10

Text field: autocompletion: a menu with a history of typed phrases

In some multi-line text fields: when I begin typing, a menu drops down or pops up. Each menu option is a previously-typed phrase, not necessarily recent. Is this a h… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

In some multi-line text fields:

  • when I begin typing, a menu drops down or pops up.

Each menu option is a previously-typed phrase, not necessarily recent.

Is this a hidden feature of Firefox?

It's very recently evident with at least three websites:

Reproducible with multiple Firefox profiles. Also evident with Firefox in safe mode.

Not evident with Microsoft Edge.

At a glance, I don't see anything relevant in release notes – https://www.firefox.com/en-GB/firefox/154.0/releasenotes/

It's possible that the feature was inadvertently enabled in response to an unknown combination of keys (shortcuts) as described in Mastodon.

Open 10

Backend (code-driven) activity is being picked up and contaminating Browsing history if Firefox Suggest list

I have completely cleared relevant history. I am in the UK, so only use Amazon UK. Yet, even within a day of removing all trace of amazon.com, it shows up again in the li… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

I have completely cleared relevant history. I am in the UK, so only use Amazon UK. Yet, even within a day of removing all trace of amazon.com, it shows up again in the list of top sites on a blank tab's address bar suggestions. (.com is not in bookmarks, shortcuts, or recent searches, which are the only other selections)

The only explanation I have for this is that amazon.co.uk is making back-end calls to amazon.com and polluting whatever mechanism is used for this list – even though the browsing history as I can see and manage it does not include any references to amazon.com whatsoever.

Please, either:

  • tell me how to get the browsing history as shown in the new tab's suggestions to respect the browsing history as recorded and manageable, or
  • tell me how I can have control to blacklist certain sites that contaminate the list despite there being no record of them within my browsing history

The only other detail that may play into this; the first time this appeared out of nowhere I suspect was also the point at which the Suggestions from sponsors magically appeared in settings, and was on by default. Ever since then, getting rid of amazon.com has been a Sisyphean struggle, as though unchecking the sponsors option were being ignored.

Open 15 50

Remove website suggestion from URL dropdown?

Hi folks, Is there a way to remove website suggestions from the URL address bar dropdown? I visited a site once in the past month (orbitz.com), and now it's featured/stuc… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

Hi folks,

Is there a way to remove website suggestions from the URL address bar dropdown? I visited a site once in the past month (orbitz.com), and now it's featured/stuck in the suggestion dropdown, replacing sites that I visit daily. The cynical side of me says these businesses paid to have their URL stuck in the dropdown, but maybe that's just cynicism. Can I remove sites like this?

Thanks!

Open 8 80

address bar results that appear before suggestions

when searching from the address bar (see picture) the first result (before firefox suggests) is not a bookmark and not history. what is it and how do i get rid of it? … (hamaky bebe kokoa)

when searching from the address bar (see picture) the first result (before firefox suggests) is not a bookmark and not history. what is it and how do i get rid of it? I want bookmarks to always be the first result. I just went through the library and it doesn't appear in history/bookmarks. thank you

Open 1 40

How to Remove Search Dropdown from Address and Search Bars

Recently updated from 148 to 152 and it has added these dropdowns to both the address and search bars (see below screenshot) that require additional clicks to get past th… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

Recently updated from 148 to 152 and it has added these dropdowns to both the address and search bars (see below screenshot) that require additional clicks to get past that I do not want. Ideally I would not have these (or would maybe have the search drop down appear AFTER the search field itself).

Behavior I don't want: searches to appear in address bar. Behavior I don't want: search drop down to appear in address bar at all. I require a clear delineation in my workflow for things I have actually visited (addresses) and things I am planning to visit (searches). Behavior I don't want: search drop down to appear in search bar between address bar and search bar (one tab click should take me from address bar to search bar - now it takes two tab clicks because of this drop down).

Resolutions I have tried: Going to "Settings > Search Engine Suggestions" and completely unclicking "show search suggestions". Going to "about:config" and setting the following fields to false: browser.urlbar.suggest.searches keyword.enabled browser.fixup.alternate.enabled

None of these actually remove the dropdown entirely from either the address bar or search bar.

How do I remove these drop downs aside from downgrading back to 148?

Open 3 91

how do I turn off search suggestions, totally and permanently?

running windows 11 with latest firefox. how do I turn off search suggestions, totally and permanently? I have looked at Settings and can find no such option. it's terrib… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

running windows 11 with latest firefox. how do I turn off search suggestions, totally and permanently? I have looked at Settings and can find no such option. it's terribly distracting.

Open 3 100

Typing in something but next word appears

When i go to type in something in google search it always wants to tell me the next words to type. How can i stop this because it messes me up when typing. Firefox is my … (hamaky bebe kokoa)

When i go to type in something in google search it always wants to tell me the next words to type. How can i stop this because it messes me up when typing. Firefox is my default browser. PS: i have tried every thing that AI told me to do and nothing works at all. Thank You.

Open 2 30

Recently Firefox was updated in Debian Linux now it is a pain

Recently Firefox was updated in Debian Linux now it is a pain Whenever I want to go to a website I get a lot of results almost all the time, see attachment the version n… (hamaky bebe kokoa)

Recently Firefox was updated in Debian Linux now it is a pain Whenever I want to go to a website I get a lot of results almost all the time, see attachment the version now is 151.0.3 (aarch64) I ask some other group, I got never got help from one member just abuse, and screen shots that are wrong to my Firefox is.

Another person gave very good description, I was able to follow it and make a change, but it did not fix the problem

Open 8 50