This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
how do make new tabs open with my choice of program?
My default web browser is google, when I open firefox it opens with google. When I open another tab it has started opening with some other search engine that I dont want, I think it is called real search.
HOW CAN I STOP THIS?
All Replies (2)
That's annoying. There's a hidden setting for the URL for new tabs.
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the button promising to be careful.
(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste newtab and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the browser.newtab.url preference and enter your preferred page:
- Page thumbnails (default) => about:newtab
- Blank tab => about:blank
- Built-in Firefox home page => about:home
- Any other page => full URL to the page
Press Ctrl+t to open a new tab and verify that it worked. Fixed?
If Firefox won't let you edit this setting: you may have something called SearchProtect on your system.
If Firefox lets you save your change but ignores it: one of your extensions may be overriding it. You can review, disable, and/or remove extensions on the add-ons page:
orange Firefox button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons > in the left column click Extensions
If the change works during your session, but at the next startup is back to the unwanted page: you might have a user.js file in your personal Firefox settings folder (your Firefox profile folder). This article describes how to track down and remove the file: How to fix preferences that won't save.
(Oops duplicate post)
Modified by jscher2000 - Support Volunteer