How do I reset strings in about:config?
I'm trying to reset some strings in about:config, and I right-click them, but there is no reset option! How do I do this? I've tried in safe mode, but no luck!
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.11.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.01
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- MindSpark Toolbar Platform Plugin Stub for 32-bit Windows
- Google Update
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 126.96.36.1998
- Intel WebAPI Updater - Installs and updates Intel WebAPIs
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
If you can't reset a pref then the prefs already has the default value.
Which pref(s) do you have in mind and why do you want to change (reset) them?
Someone installed some video editing programs, and with the download some annoying programs/malware followed. The well known and annoying conduit search engine or what ever it is. So those are the prefs I'm trying to reset. The problem is, no matter what perf I try, the reset option isn't there. They're even say 'user set'! I'm at a loss...
to make things easier you could reset the whole browser: Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings
Tried that as well, but not everything got reset. Still two strings wich has something to do with conduit...
Check for the presence of a mozilla.cfg file in the Firefox program folder to initialize some prefs.
This also involves the presence of a .js (JScript) file, probably in "defaults\pref" folder, that specifies to read this mozilla.cfg file.
If you have .js files apart from the channel-prefs.js file, that sets app.update.channel, in the defaultspref folder then open this file in an editor like Notepad and please post its content. Also please post the content of the mozilla.cfg file.
If you have this mozilla.cfg file then best is to do a clean reinstall of Firefox and remove the Firefox program folder.
So, I don't have any of the above files. Not the .cfg or any other .js than the channel-pref.
I'll go ahead and do a reinstall and se if that helps. Thanks for the quick replies!
Did you check for the presence of a user.js file in the Firefox Profile Folder?
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder