site does not recognize me
Even though the cookie record shows that I've got cookies from the NYTimes.com site, I am never recognized as a paid customer when visiting there, and must log in every time. This was not the case until a few days ago, when I had to reformat the hard drive and then reinstall the program with Win7 Home.
When using IE and Chrome, no problems.
Clicking "Remember me" does no good.
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
To check NYTimes.com's cookie permissions, right-click the page, choose View Page Info, then the Permissions tab. Is it set to "Allow" (either by default or explicitly)? This is necessary for the cookie to be saved with its standard expiration date.
By any chance have you set Firefox to clear your cookies at shutdown? Those settings are described about halfway down this article: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remove-recent-browsing-search-and-download-history#w_how-do-i-make-firefox-clear-my-history-automatically
Cookies are allowed, and, as I reported, they are sticking.
As for clearing at shutdown, that is A) not checked and B) not happening, because there are a bunch of NYTimes cookies stored.
I have written the Times for help, but no answer yet.
In case you are using "Clear history when Firefox closes":
- do not clear the "Cookies" and the "Site Preferences"
- Tools > Options > Privacy: History: [X] Clear history when Firefox closes > Settings
Note that clearing "Site Preferences" clears all exceptions for cookies, images, pop-up windows, software installation, and passwords.
No, I don't clear cookies, and the NYT site shows many stored cookies on my PC.
If clearing cookies doesn't work then it is possible that the cookies.sqlite file that stores the cookies is corrupted.
Rename (or delete) cookies.sqlite (cookies.sqlite.old) and delete other present cookie files like cookies.sqlite-journal in the Firefox Profile Folder in case the file cookies.sqlite got corrupted.