How do I remove iMesh from the search engine tab?!
I recently downloaded iMesh to get a few MP3 downloads. At first I was unable to uninstall the software--it told me it was in memory or in use and could not be removed. But it uninstalled today. It's off my computer, but it has hijacked my browser. When I click on a new tab, I get iMesh as a search engine. I want them off my computer! How can I revert my tabs to Firefox or Google? I went thru the steps to ensure that Firefox is my default browser.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
after I foolishly downloaded iMesh software yesterday
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r153
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- Google Update
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20110319 Firefox/3.6.16
Please do the following.
- In the location bar, type about:config and hit Enter.
- In the filter at the top, type: keyword.URL
- Double click it and remove whatever's in there and replace it with http://www.google.com/search?q=
- Go to File | Exit
- Restart Firefox, go to the site you want to set as your homepage.
- Go to Tools | Options | General.
- Make sure it says "Show My Homepage" in the first dropdown menu.
- Click the button called "Use Current Pages" to set the homepage to the one you have on the screen.
The URL to add in "keyword.URL" becomes a link in this post, so right click it and choose "Copy Link Location" to copy it to the Windows clipboard. Then hit CTRL+V to paste it. Saves you having to type the whole thing.
This did not help at all. I'm able to change my homepage while in Firefox. It will keep that new home page until I close out of Firefox. The next time I open Firefox, iMesh will be the home page again. The keyword.URL will have been reset to the babylon/iMesh information.
I am not a computer expert and I couldn't get the above solution to work (on Windows xp). However, I have managed to remove the little s** from my computer as follows.
I used Windows Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs to remove the imeash program and the two Babylon programs. This didn't work.
I then downloaded AVG's PC Tuneup program (http://free.avg.com/gb-en/download-avg-pctuneup) It has a free trial for two days.
I ran this program to scan & repair. It found and repaired a lot of disc errors but still didn't sort the problem.
I then went to the advanced tab on the AVG PC Tuneup Program and asked it to list all programs.
It found one called "Media Bar" marked "rarely used" that I didn't recognize.
I asked AVG PC Tuneup to remove this program (button at top left hand) and when I clicked on "details" I noted that it had removed about 6 or more imesh files. Hooray!!
I then went into Firefox Tools/Options and re-set the home page, restarted FireFox, and to my great joy, imeash was nowhere to be seen. I did the same with Internet Explorer and everything is now as it should be. I just hope that that bloody awful program is not hiding elsewhere in my computer.
And I hope there is some justice in this world and imesh go bankrupt. Why should anyone want such an invasive program on there computer?
Modified by rajayes