how do I turn off private browsing?
When I go to some website, I get the error message "turn off private browsing" How do I turn it off?
Additional System Details
- Provides information about the default web browser
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Logitech Harmony Browser Plug-In 2.0
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- NortonInternetSecurityBF with BrowserFramework 6.2, © 2015 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RocketLife Software Component
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 12.0.2
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
Hello reggieat, in Tools > Preferences > Privacy > History > Firefox will > deselect the "Never remember history" and you are out of private browsing..........BUT what is the website that request to turn off private browsing, please share it with us.
That's a very odd message to get from a website! Websites should not be able to tell whether you are using private browsing, but perhaps the site tried to set a cookie or use another storage/tracking feature and wasn't able to do so, and therefore assumes you are using private browsing.
Sometimes information websites normally expect to receive is stripped or blocked by an add-on. Could you test in Firefox's Safe Mode? That's a standard diagnostic tool to deactivate extensions and some advanced features of Firefox. More info: Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode.
If Firefox is not running: Hold down the Shift key when starting Firefox. Sorry: Shift is for Windows, on Mac, it is the option key.
If Firefox is running: You can restart Firefox in Safe Mode using either:
- "3-bar" menu button > "?" button > Restart with Add-ons Disabled
- Help menu > Restart with Add-ons Disabled
and OK the restart.
Both scenarios: A small dialog should appear. Click "Start in Safe Mode" (not Refresh).
Modified by jscher2000
Clear the cache and remove cookies only from websites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
You can inspect and manage permissions for the domain in the currently selected tab via these steps:
- Click the "Site Identity Button" (globe/padlock) on the location/address bar
- Click "More Information" to open "Tools > Page Info" with the Security tab selected
- Go to the Permissions tab (Tools > Page Info > Permissions) to check the permissions for the domain in the currently selected tab
When I go to some website, I get the error message "turn off private browsing" How do I turn it off? I am using a MAC with OS 10.10.
Can you tell us what you have tried so far?
Can you post a link to a publicly accessible page (i.e. no authentication or signing on required)?
You can check the network.http.* prefs on the about:config page. Reset network.http prefs to the default value via the right-click context menu -> Reset if they are user set (bold).
You can open the about:config page via the location/address bar. You can accept the warning and click "I'll be careful" to continue.