Firefox Clinic cheat sheet
- Revision id: 22800
- Creator: Verdi
- Comment: another draft
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: Verdi
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? Yes
- Ready for localization: No
Thanks for working with Firefox users today. You Rock!
Here are a few handy tips and links to make things a little easier.
Table of Contents
- 1 Find out what’s wrong
- 2 Update Firefox & Plugins
- 3 Find a sumo article
- 4 Walk though the solution
- 5 Troubleshooting website problems
- 6 Troubleshooting Firefox problems
- 7 Don’t worry, you have backup
- 8 Give people links to the articles you used to help them
- 9 Fill out the support ticket
- 10 Wrap up
Find out what’s wrong
- If the user has brought their own computer, help them get connected to wi-fi (Mozilla Guest, password Firefox) and have them show you the problem.
- If the user is doesn’t have a computer with them, start a private browsing session and have them walk you though the problem. Private Browsing instructions
Update Firefox & Plugins
- Let’s get them on the latest version. This may fix the problem - download and install from mozilla.org/firefoxNote: If they are upgrading from 3.6 to the latest, you will probably have to show them around the new version. This article will help - Common questions after upgrading from Firefox 3.6
- Go to mozilla.org/plugincheck and follow instructions to update plugins.
Find a sumo article
Here are articles for some common issues:
Home page, search, toolbar problems
- Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page - Use this article if the home page and search have been changed by an unwanted toolbar.
- How to set the home page
- Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars
- Use the Search bar in Firefox
- Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware - includes links to malware removal tools
Firefox is slow, hangs, uses too much ram
- Firefox is slow - How to make it faster
- Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix
- Firefox uses too much memory (RAM) - How to fix
- Recover lost or missing Bookmarks
- What happened to the File, Edit, and View menus?
- Import Bookmarks and personal data from another browser
- Usernames and passwords are not saved
- Fix common audio and video issues
Learning about Firefox features
- Get started with Firefox - An overview of the main features
- Private Browsing - Use Firefox without saving history
- Find and install add-ons to add features to Firefox
- Create bookmarks to save your favorite webpages
- Pinned Tabs - keep favorite websites open and just a click away
- Awesome Bar - Search your Firefox bookmarks, history and tabs from the address bar
Walk though the solution
- Encourage the user do the steps.
- You can switch the article to show instructions for the users’s operating system (controls in the right hand sidebar of the article).
Troubleshooting website problems
- The easiest thing to try is holding down the Shift key while reloading. This fixed a good number of things.
- Try clearing Firefox's cookies and cache
- Click the menu button , choose and select .
- In the Time Range to clear: drop-down, select Everything.
- Click the arrow next to Details to display the list of items that can be cleared.
- Select both Cookies and Cache.
- Click .
Main website troubleshooting article
Troubleshooting Firefox problems
- Start in Safe-Mode — many Firefox problems are caused by extensions. To temporarily disable all extensions, hold down the Shift key (option key on Mac) while starting Firefox. If the problem goes away, turn on extensions one by one to find the culprit. See Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems for details.
- Try a new profile — if the problem doesn't seem to be caused by an extension, try creating a new profile and see if the problem goes away. See Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles for the details.
Main Firefox troubleshooting articles
- Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
- Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems
- Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles
- Firefox crashes - Troubleshoot, prevent and get help fixing crashes
Don’t worry, you have backup
- Don't hesitate to ask someone on the SUMO staff for help — especially Cheng. He is the master.
Give people links to the articles you used to help them
- Put stickers with the links to the articles you used on people's handouts.
- If you used an article that we don't have a sticker for it might be easier to write down the search terms you used on SUMO. For example, say go to support.mozilla.org and search for "set up sync."
Fill out the support ticket
- Please fill out this form for each person you help.
- Ask if they have other questions. Some people will be coming to just learn more about Firefox. Here’s where you can show them your favorite cool tricks (Awesome bar) or add-ons (AdBlock Plus, etc.).
- Remind people that they can always get help at support.mozilla.org. We're also listed in the Firefox Help menu!
- Mention that we’re also looking for people willing to be interviewed and to give feedback on new Firefox designs.
- Thank people for coming!