Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Hilfe durchsuchen

Vorsicht vor Support-Betrug: Wir fordern Sie niemals auf, eine Telefonnummer anzurufen, eine SMS an eine Telefonnummer zu senden oder persönliche Daten preiszugeben. Bitte melden Sie verdächtige Aktivitäten über die Funktion „Missbrauch melden“.

Weitere Informationen
Gelöst Archiviert

Firefox saves files that I only wanted to open

gsm600

Firefox saves files that I only wanted to open with another application.

I checked the previous solutions in the forum, but they did not work for me. (Windows 11) I changed in system> general > download , applications > the app to open that file type and it works, but besides this Firefox keeps saving the files in the default download folder.

I tried also about:config browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel to false. browser.download.start_downloads_in_tmp_dir change to true No change - still saving copies.

Firefox saves files that I only wanted to open with another application. I checked the previous solutions in the forum, but they did not work for me. (Windows 11) I changed in system> general > download , applications > the app to open that file type and it works, but besides this Firefox keeps saving the files in the default download folder. I tried also about:config browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel to false. browser.download.start_downloads_in_tmp_dir change to true No change - still saving copies.
Diese Antwort im Kontext lesen

Ausgewählte Lösung

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Mode to check if one of the extensions ("3-bar" menu button or Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions) or if hardware acceleration or if userChrome.css/userContent.css is causing the problem.

  • switch to the DEFAULT theme: "3-bar" menu button or Tools -> Add-ons -> Themes
  • do NOT click the "Refresh Firefox" button on the Troubleshoot Mode start window

Alle Antworten (4)

Firefox needs to download and save a file to be able to view this file in a tab or pass it to another application. Current Firefox versions save the file to the default Downloads folder that you can override via browser.download.start_downloads_in_tmp_dir = true to save the file to the temp folder.

Thanks for the reply but you did not read my post - this doesn't work for me.

Ausgewählte Lösung

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Mode to check if one of the extensions ("3-bar" menu button or Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions) or if hardware acceleration or if userChrome.css/userContent.css is causing the problem.

  • switch to the DEFAULT theme: "3-bar" menu button or Tools -> Add-ons -> Themes
  • do NOT click the "Refresh Firefox" button on the Troubleshoot Mode start window

Followed the instructions "3-bar" menu >Help > Troubleshoot Mode>-> Add-ons -> Themes Visionary — Balanced > disable > restart the browser > Problem solved!

Thanks a lot!