Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

I CAN'T GET THE PRIMARY PASSWORD TO WORK

howardbrock1

NO MATTER WHAT I DO (I HAVE GONE THROUGH THE CHANGE PASSWORD DIALOG THREE TIMES) IT KEEPS ASKING ME FOR MY PRIMARY PASSWORD AND IT WON'T TAKE WHAT I HAVE CREATED.

NO MATTER WHAT I DO (I HAVE GONE THROUGH THE CHANGE PASSWORD DIALOG THREE TIMES) IT KEEPS ASKING ME FOR MY PRIMARY PASSWORD AND IT WON'T TAKE WHAT I HAVE CREATED.

All Replies (1)

Hi howardbrock1,

I am so sorry you are stuck in this frustrating loop! It sounds incredibly exhausting to go through the change dialog three times only to have it repeatedly reject your input. What you are experiencing usually happens when Firefox's security files get corrupted or a third-party antivirus interferes with the browser. When this loop happens, the normal settings menu won't work, and we have to force a reset.

Important Note: Resetting your Primary Password will erase all of your currently saved website passwords in Firefox. If you use Firefox Sync to sync passwords to a phone or another computer, they should download again automatically after the reset. Here is how to break the loop and fix it:

Step 1: Force a password reset 1. Copy this exact text: chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xhtml 2. Paste it into the Firefox address bar at the very top of your screen and press Enter. 3. A page will open warning you that your passwords will be erased. Click the Reset button. 4. Completely close Firefox, wait a few seconds, and open it again.

Step 2: Confirm it is cleared 1. Click the menu button (the three horizontal lines ☰) and select Settings. 2. Click Privacy & Security on the left. 3. Scroll to Logins and Passwords and ensure Use a Primary Password is unchecked.

Once this is done, the browser should stop asking you for the password, and you can safely start saving them again. Please let us know if this gets you back into your browser!

Vra 'n vraag

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.