Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Lolu chungechunge lwabekwa kunqolobane. Uyacelwa ubuze umbuzo omusha uma udinga usizo.
Solved Okugcinwe kunqolobane

In the registry Mozilla plugins cannot be deleted but one is blocking installation of MS Silverlight update. Any suggestions?

52545864

Microsoft has been trying to update Siverlight for the past few weeks - each time failing. It says that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@Microsoft.com/NpCtrl,version=1.0 is the problem. I have tried to delete it & the whole Mozilla key but I get 'Error while deleting key. Access is denied', in every case. There are 14 items under MozillaPlugins.

I reinstalled Firefox to see if it would 'kickstart' the string, without success.

MozillaPlugins:Name (Default); Type:REG_SZ; Data:(value not set). Windows 7 Home Premium.

I am the main administrator - confirmed in cmd - but anything I enter into Permissions is refused.

Microsoft has been trying to update Siverlight for the past few weeks - each time failing. It says that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@Microsoft.com/NpCtrl,version=1.0 is the problem. I have tried to delete it & the whole Mozilla key but I get 'Error while deleting key. Access is denied', in every case. There are 14 items under MozillaPlugins. I reinstalled Firefox to see if it would 'kickstart' the string, without success. MozillaPlugins:Name (Default); Type:REG_SZ; Data:(value not set). Windows 7 Home Premium. I am the main administrator - confirmed in cmd - but anything I enter into Permissions is refused.

All Replies (3)

Isisombululo Esikhethiwe

Thank you. I am obviously not doing the right thing as all of my suggested entries, to change the Permissions, are rejected. For instance, what is the name of the object? I have tried various permutations without success.

Post Script: have just run Microsoft's Fixit (kb2608523) & it did. I don't need to worry about deleting the Registry Key, now

Okulungisiwe ngu 52545864

Did you give yourself write permissions for this registry key?

You may nee to go up a level and apply the permission to sub keys:

  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins