Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Lolu chungechunge lwabekwa kunqolobane. Uyacelwa ubuze umbuzo omusha uma udinga usizo.
Okugcinwe kunqolobane

Ongoing issue: links in TBird emails DO NOT WORK

shayhurs

Asked earlier this question and never received a reply (other than a "yeah seems to be a problem"--which was of no value and could be construed as "snarky").

Upgraded to Windows 11 and now I can't get T-Bird to open links to web pages from within the message.

I have to do a right-click copy and paste of the link url into a browser to open it.

I worked through the tshoot help articles and I'm back to the "Message Support" option.

I just updated to 102.11.1 and the problem persists. Issue also occurs with Chrome stand and incognito in addition to FF (113.0.2) standard and Private windows.

Asked earlier this question and never received a reply (other than a "yeah seems to be a problem"--which was of no value and could be construed as "snarky"). Upgraded to Windows 11 and now I can't get T-Bird to open links to web pages from within the message. I have to do a right-click copy and paste of the link url into a browser to open it. I worked through the tshoot help articles and I'm back to the "Message Support" option. I just updated to 102.11.1 and the problem persists. Issue also occurs with Chrome stand and incognito in addition to FF (113.0.2) standard and Private windows.

Okulungisiwe ngu shayhurs

All Replies (1)

re :I worked through the tshoot help articles

Sadly that does not tell me anything about the settings you are currently using. Is this was one of the help links you mention:

If you want emails to open in Firefox then Firefox must be set up as the default browser. Is computer saying Firefox is default browser? Have you reset Firefox as default via Firefox?

In Thunderbird Settings >General > click on 'Config Editor' Is this set up:

  • network.protocol-handler.external-default = true
  • network.protocol-handler.warn-external = true

Settings > General > scroll to 'Files & Attachments' Do you have any 'Contents' item that mentions http or https ? I would advise you delete them but you can select Firefox Then Exit and restart Thunderbird to ensure all chnages are being properly updated and used.

But you mention 'Chrome' and I have come across plenty of people who had issues after installing Chrome. Did you install Chrome after or before Firefox ?

If you have all the setting correct in Thunderbird then it's likely the computer is confused about which browser is set up as default. So you say open link and computer goes duhhhh.

The usual fix is to reset the default browser and then exit and start Thunderbird. I did have someone who simply uninstalled Chrome and then reset Firefox as default and everything started working ok. It's almost as if when you install another browser it auto set it's self up as default confusing the computer who also has something else set as default.

Do you have any addons installed in Thunderbird ? If yes, are they causing a problem - Test: Restart Thunderbird in Safe Mode aka 'Troubleshoot Mode' Menu > Help > Troubleshoot Mode Click on 'Restart' and select 'Continue in Troubleshoot Mode' Test links.