Firefox does not close down programs properly
For many years past, Firefox has not closed down some programs properly. For example, I use a program called Handitax. I close it down normally. Yet when I go to switch off my computer in the evening, the OS report that it is still running. I must close the program manually to continue with the ShutDown. Also If I click on Start/Proceesses in XP, I find it still listed as running. Deleting it in Processes also solves the problem. The bug is not confined to Handitax.
All Replies (4)
The Refresh feature (called "Reset" in older Firefox versions) can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies, and other essential information.
Note: When you use this feature, you will lose any extensions, toolbar customizations, and some preferences. See the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article for more information.
To Refresh Firefox:
- Open the Troubleshooting Information page using one of these methods:
- Click the menu button , click help and select Troubleshooting Information. A new tab containing your troubleshooting information should open.
- If you're unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting Information page.
- At the top right corner of the page, you should see a button that says "Refresh Firefox" ("Reset Firefox" in older Firefox versions). Click on it.
- Firefox will close. After the refresh process is completed, Firefox will show a window with the information that is imported.
- Click Finish and Firefox will reopen.
Did this fix the problem? Please report back to us!
Thank you for your assistance. I got as far as "Refresh Firefox" but did not proceed further as I did not want to lose my customisation features including a Google tool-bar. By far the simplest way of working around the bug in Firefox is to hit Control+Delete/Processes/End Process for the rogue file that is running. This closes the file.
Other persons over the years, have commented on this bug in Firefox.
Those not knowing of the Control+Delete etc process must recourse to re-booting to close the running program. Let's hope that Firefox addressed this bug in its next revision.
What Bug do you think is in Firefox? How does Handitax interface with Firefox? Why would Firefox even be involved in the closing of that application?
And there's this, according to this Handitax page - http://www.sagehandisoft.com.au/SystemRequirements.aspx - WinXP hasn't been supported since Microsoft ended support for WinXP on April 8, 2014.
I would point out a) this malfunction has existed for a number of years and certainly prior to April '14 when support for XP ended and b) the malfunction is not confined to Handitax. It applied to many programs opened and possible all. As far as I am aware, this malfunction only appears when using the Firefox browser and not other browsers. Other persons have reported this malfunction on the internet.