How do I use the Firefox spell checker?
Firefox automatically checks the spelling of words that you enter in text boxes containing more than one line. As soon as you finish typing a word, it is checked against the words in the installed dictionary. If the word is not found in the dictionary, it will be underlined in red, as in the following example:
- Automatic spell-checking is only turned on for text boxes containing more than one line, where you can enter as much text as you want.
- Not all locales come with a dictionary installed due to licensing reasons.
Table of Contents
Disabling automatic spell-checking
By default, Firefox is configured to automatically check spelling. You can turn it off in the OptionsPreferences window:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button and then select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and then select .On the menu bar, click on the menu and select .At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu and select .
Click the menu button and choose . .
- Select the panel.
- Click the tab.
- Uncheck Check my spelling as I type.
- Click to close the Options window.Click to close the Preferences window.Close the Preferences window.
Correcting misspelled words
When spell-checking is enabled, you can easily correct misspelled words. To correct the misspelled word, Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click on it and select one of the suggested words at the top of the menu.
If none of the suggested words is appropriate, you must manually edit it. If you are sure the word is spelled correctly, you can add it to the dictionary. To add a word to the dictionary, Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click on it, and select .
You can install other dictionaries as necessary.
- Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click in any text box containing more than one line.
- Select .
- The Mozilla Add-ons Dictionaries page is displayed. To add a dictionary to Firefox, click the "Install Dictionary" link next to the dictionary you want to add. The Software Installation window appears. When it is displayed, click , which should open the Add-ons tab, where you'll see the dictionary being installed.
- To enable the dictionary, click the button in the Add-ons manager.
After the dictionary is installed, you can switch to it, as needed. To switch to a different installed dictionary, Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click in a multi-line field, select , then select the dictionary you want to use.
Removing a word you have accidentally added
Open your profile folder:
- Under the Application Basics section, click on filesfolder will open. . A window with your profile
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit
- Open the file persdict.dat in a text editor (such as WordPad).
- In the text editor each word you've added is on a separate line. Remove the line, containing the word you wish to remove.
- Click the menu, and select , to save your work.
Share this article: http://mzl.la/1BAQFzT