Custom installation of Firefox on Windows
Starting with Firefox version 55, we’ve simplified new Firefox installations on Windows with the online Firefox Installer. This streamlined installer removes the Options page which allowed you to change settings such as the installation folder and whether to add program shortcuts.
- How to download and install Firefox on Windows explains how to install Firefox with standard options using the online Firefox Installer.
This article explains the custom options that are available in the Firefox full, offline installer.
Table of Contents
How to install Firefox with custom settings
The full offline installer is available if you'd like to choose between 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Firefox, install Firefox in other languages or install Firefox with custom options. You can download the full offline installer from the Systems and Languages page.
When you run the full installer, the Mozilla Firefox Setup Wizard will open.
After clickingyou can choose a Standard or Custom installation. The Standard setup will be selected by default.
A Custom setup lets you choose the folder where Firefox program files will be installed, as well as which shortcuts to create. These options are not available in a Standard setup. Select the Custom setup type and click.
Choose where Firefox is installed
The next step is where you can choose a different Destination Folder, which is where the Firefox program will be installed.
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ is the default folder path on 32-bit Windows. It's also the default location on 64-bit Windows when the 64-bit Firefox version is installed.
When the 32-bit Firefox version is installed on 64-bit Windows, the default folder path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\
You can change the folder where Firefox will be installed either by manually typing the location of another folder on your computer or you can clickto select a new folder.
- Space required: The amount of space on your hard drive that's needed to install Firefox.
- Space available: The amount of space available on your hard drive.
Choose optional components
In the next screen you can choose whether to install the optional Mozilla Maintenance Service which allows application updates to occur in the background, without requiring you to click What is the Mozilla Maintenance Service?.in the Windows User Account Control (UAC) dialog. For more information, see
- On my Desktop: You can choose to create a Firefox shortcut icon on the Windows Desktop.
- In my Start Menu Programs folder: This will create a Firefox shortcut icon in the Windows Start Menu Programs folder.
After choosing which Firefox program shortcuts to create, click.
The Summary that comes up next will show the folder location where Firefox will be installed.
- Check mark Use Firefox as my default web browser if you want Firefox to start up when you open a link in your mail application, an Internet shortcut, or HTML document. For more information, see Make Firefox your default browser.
If you are reinstalling Firefox over an existing version, you'll see anbutton instead of an button.
Clickor to complete the installation. When Firefox is finished installing, the "Completing the Mozilla Firefox Setup Wizard" screen will appear.
Click. This will start Firefox unless you first clear the "Launch Firefox now" checkbox.
Congratulations, you are done installing Firefox!