Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Thunderbird not receiving emails since Google asked for permissions

Graham Smith

I am not good with IT. I've been using Thunderbird for years. Recently, Google asked for permissions, which I gave. Since then, no mail. Any help appreciated.

I am not good with IT. I've been using Thunderbird for years. Recently, Google asked for permissions, which I gave. Since then, no mail. Any help appreciated.

All Replies (1)

Hi Graham,

If this is a Gmail account, it sounds like Thunderbird may need to authenticate with Google again after you granted the new permissions.

Could you try restarting Thunderbird and see whether a Google sign-in window appears? If it does, sign in with your Gmail account and allow Thunderbird access to the account. Thunderbird uses Google's OAuth2 sign-in for Gmail, rather than simply using your normal Gmail password.

If no Google sign-in window appears, please let us know what happens when you click Get Messages. Does Thunderbird show an error message, or does it simply not download anything?

Also, if you can tell us which version of Thunderbird you're using, that would be helpful.

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.