Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

Why do I have to log in for two websites if they both link to the same IP?

dailydoseofinternetz

Hey

I'm genuinely curious about Firefox BTS in this scenario.

Example: I open website (http://homedevice:1000) and it requires me to log in. Then I log in at (http://192*:1000) and it requires me to login. "homedevice" is a domain name for 192*, yet I still have to log in twice for the same IP under the same port. Why is it treated seperately the homedevice:1000 and the 192.*:1000 address?

Greets

Hey I'm genuinely curious about Firefox BTS in this scenario. Example: I open website (http://'''homedevice''':1000) and it requires me to log in. Then I log in at (http://'''192*''':1000) and it requires me to login. "homedevice" is a domain name for 192*, yet I still have to log in twice for the same IP under the same port. Why is it treated seperately the homedevice:1000 and the 192.*:1000 address? Greets

All Replies (2)

Penyelesaian Terpilih

When you connect to a website, the browser stores your session details in a cookie.

The name "homedevice" is recorded as the origin in this cookie.

When you later access the site viahttp://192.168.x.x:1000, the browser sees the address 192.168.x.x as the origin and treats it as completely different.

Even though your network knows (via hosts or DNS) that they lead to the same page, the browser ignores this connection for security reasons. It compares the addresses strictly as text, finds that homedevice does not match 192.168.x.x, and consequently does not send the stored cookie, prompting you to log in again.

Diubah oleh George Kitsoukakis

Thanks. Makes sense, I use alot of home addresses and was just wondering :smile:

Tanya soalan

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.