Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Custom user-agent fails bot detection

tomadk

I have FF-156 (snap) on *buntu 26.04, and if I use a custom user agent for privacy reasons, I no longer have access to some websites because Cloudflare thinks I am a bot. Somehow, Cloudflare is able to detect, that I am not running FF on Windows, and that suggests that some sort of fingerprinting defeats FF security settings.

Steps to reproduce on Linux: Update FF to latest version (156.0.Something), create a new profile, and go to "about:config", search for "general.useragent.override" and set the string value to "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:156.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/156.0". Go to "https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=63" and you will enter a "Verifying that your are a human" loop.

How can Cloudflare detect this change, and what is there to do about it?

I have FF-156 (snap) on *buntu 26.04, and if I use a custom user agent for privacy reasons, I no longer have access to some websites because Cloudflare thinks I am a bot. Somehow, Cloudflare is able to detect, that I am not running FF on Windows, and that suggests that some sort of fingerprinting defeats FF security settings. Steps to reproduce on Linux: Update FF to latest version (156.0.Something), create a new profile, and go to "about:config", search for "general.useragent.override" and set the string value to "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:156.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/156.0". Go to "https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=63" and you will enter a "Verifying that your are a human" loop. How can Cloudflare detect this change, and what is there to do about it?

All Replies (1)

Not much. They're in the business of detecting tampering with the connection identification, which, apparently, you're trying to do, and they seem to be good at this.

(They might cross–reference the platform claimed with e.g. fonts available or GPU details that don't match between the two. Or you've thrown resist–fingerprinting or strict ETP/PBM into the mix, so they see even less real values and more greasing, and have to guess more, so the mismatches might be more apparent?)

That said, if I fake the UA the only thing that happens for me on the link is I have to manually check the turnstile, but that's all. (Using stock nightly, and faking macOS as Windows.)

So it must be in tandem with something else you've hardened, and adding to the overall scoring. If using e.g. a VM like browser.lol with datacenter origin, I get the turnstile checkbox right away, and if I spoof as Windows there the turnstile keeps looping infinitely. So the non–residential IP apparently raises the bar somewhat.

If you wanna get rid of some entropy, I'd first suggest using the non–Snap version of Linux UA for starters, which is more broadly used, and shared also with Android tablets and the like, so it's more generic than the Canonical–provided one — if that helps with your Turing checks.

Diubah oleh jbr

Tanya soalan

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.