Is anyone having issues with Firefox frequently crashing after the version 157 update?
Yesterday morning my Firefox was updated to version 157 and ever since it reopened it has crashed too many times to count. Sometimes it will run for 20-30 minutes, but then it will crash repeatedly in just a few moments or a few minutes after reporting the crash and restarting. I already tried reinstalling the current version with no success in solving the problem. I could not even keep it from crashing while trying to type this question, so I am now using MS Edge as my browser until I can find a fix for Firefox.
All Replies (9)
We're sorry to hear that your Firefox seems to be crashing when you open it. Please perform the following steps to give us a crash report ID that helps us find out more about the cause of the crash.
- On the keyboard, press [Windows]
+ [R]. This should bring up a Run box that contains a text field.
- In that text field, type %APPDATA% and press Enter. An explorer window should open.
- From that explorer window, double-click on the Mozilla folder, then double-click on Firefox and then on Crash reports. Double-click on submitted.
- Now, you should see a list of files that contain reports. Go to View > Arrange Icons by > Modified to get the most recent files at the top of the window.
- Open the most recent 5 files with a text editor and copy the IDs.
- Paste each ID with bp- into the reply window on the forums.
Thanks in advance!
You can find more information and troubleshooting steps in the Troubleshoot Firefox crashes (closing or quitting unexpectedly) article.
bp-f3d97677-3862-4c21-a89c-ccddc0260930 bp-aad00139-59d4-46b7-a30f-43ae10260930 bp-a657ef5a-46a6-40d7-819f-b93450260930 bp-10cbcfa0-b3cd-444a-8c01-a3a580260930 bp-9d6249da-e83e-4f55-bb6f-7bb110260930 bp-7ede5628-3dda-4a34-abf5-6afd30260930
I tried running Firefox in Trouble Shooting Mode and had several crashes while trying to use Gmail.
bp-904d9c5f-8947-4e7e-99de-ff02f0260930 bp-ff7bce97-e31c-4ec9-886a-cccc40260930 bp-f41fc41d-bc7a-47fc-9ca1-433ef0260930 bp-4aa1603e-c577-4dd4-b145-0a4d60260930 bp-1bb60eba-0fc3-404f-9cbf-d6d100260930
Interesting. It looks like this crash is due to bug 2061103.
/// Validation implementation for CPUs supporting the SIMD extension (see module). /// # Safety /// This function is inherently unsafe because it is compiled with SIMD extensions /// enabled. Make sure that the CPU supports it before calling. ///
Does your CPU support SIMD/AVX2?
It would be good to run mozregression to confirm the bug ID and report it in Bugzilla.
Thank you for the reply, Yes, my CPU does support AVX & AVX2 (Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
OK, so I am not very tech savvy, but sometimes I am able to work my way through problems. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be one of those times. I tried to download mozregression but could not find a way to install it. I followed the link for bug 2061103 but could not find a patch to download. The notes for the bug indicated that it was fixed in versions esr153 & esr157, but this all started after Firefox updated itself to 157 yesterday.
And this new code in 2061103 is crashing your browser. Please create a new bug in Bugzilla about this situation and paste your bug URL here.
I gave up trying to fix the problem and did a system recovery to my last restore point before the Firefox update was installed.
We're analyzing it under bug 2077336.