Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

Thunderbird lost after latest Win11 update

Neil Broomfield

I have a new (to me) Microsoft Surface pc with an ARM processor. After a very recent update to Windows 11,my entire Thunderbird installation has disappeared and I have been forced to use the Web to access my emails from Posteo.de Can you assist me please?

I have a new (to me) Microsoft Surface pc with an ARM processor. After a very recent update to Windows 11,my entire Thunderbird installation has disappeared and I have been forced to use the Web to access my emails from Posteo.de Can you assist me please?

All Replies (3)

Did you install from thunderbird.net? Have you checked Program Files/Mozilla for thunderbird? To verify profile, enter %appdata% at search box on task bar. That should open in appdata\roaming? If there is a thunderbird folder, then you have not lost the data. I am hesitant to advise further, as you may have just lost the desktop icon.

Chosen Solution

Many thanks for your kind help David. Absolutely right, I had lost the desktop icon and was able to get everything up and running ok through following your advice - whew! I still reckon that Win11 is a real hotch-potch mess, at least to relative incompetents like me. Cheers. Neil

I'm pleased all is well. I suggest you consider doing this periodically to keep your heart from too much stress:


BACKUP

  1. ensure thunderbird is not running
  2. enter %appdata% in search window on task bar and press Enter key
  3. this should open windows file explorer in Appdata\roaming folder
  4. highlight the Thunderbird folder and copy to external media

And do this as needed. Print this off for future reference. Take care. :) RESTORE

  1. ensure thunderbird is installed, run once, and NOT running
  2. enter %appdata% in search window on task bar and press Enter key
  3. delete the thunderbird folder
  4. you should be in Appdata\roaming folder , copy&paste the exported Thunderbird folder there.
  5. start thunderbird and all should be there
Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.