Permanently disable Sync
I'm looking for an answer to disabling cloud-based sync services in regards to an enterprise reqeust. This prevents saved passwords or other sensitive data being uploaded to the cloud, and also prevent the user syncing that data with an untrusted device. I can't find an option to disable Sync (specifically the "Sign in to Sync" menu option) apart from setting some of the configured sign-in URI's to null. Is there a way of just disabling the function?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 14.0 r0
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Creative Cloud is installed on this machine.v_2_0_0_0
- LastPass Plugin
- Provides information about the default web browser
- Version 22.214.171.12403
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 12.1.1
- Plugin for Wacom tablets.
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 126.96.36.199
- Picasa plugin.
- NPAPI plug-in for Mac Conference Client
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
Does https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/751849 answer your question?
No, as that only disables it for the currently active profile and from the UI. If the user creates a new profile it's back again. I'd be best if the user could not re-enable. I'd like not to have to rely on the user to disable it. I realize this is an enterprise sort of question so this may not actually be possible given lack of true enterprise support.
hey curtis, you can use the method described at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locking_preferences to lock certain preferences in about:config for all users/profiles in an enterprise environment.
you'll probably have to lock services.sync.engine.addons, services.sync.engine.bookmarks, services.sync.engine.history, services.sync.engine.passwords, services.sync.engine.prefs, services.sync.engine.tabs (or a subset of them according to your requirements) to false.
Now that you bring it up, all your "enterprisey" questions would be better of being posted to the "Enterprise Working Group (EWG) mailing list", see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/ =)
- CCK2 Wizard: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/cck2wizard/