Firefox updated without my knowledge, and all my data, including passwords and bookmarks, disappeared.
Firefox updated without my knowledge, and all my data, including passwords and bookmarks, disappeared. My profiles still exist, but everything else is gone. I couldn't recover my data manually or through about:profiles. When I first opened Firefox and saw that everything was missing, I was prompted to import from Chrome and did so, so now I'm wondering if that messed things up. I just want my passwords back!!
All Replies (1)
If Firefox starts up after an update without your bookmarks and other settings, check whether your data is available in a different profile:
Inside Firefox, type or paste about:profiles in the address bar and press Enter/Return to load it. The About Profiles page will open. This page should list at least one profile and could list many.
The profile that Firefox is currently using will show:
This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted.
Please do not delete anything here; don't use any Remove buttons.
Do you have another profile named default or default-longnumber listed on this page? If so, you can check whether it is the one you were using recently by clicking its Launch profile in new browser button.
If it isn't what you want, simply close that new window.
If it IS what you want, click the Set as default profile button for that profile on the about:profiles page. Firefox will use it automatically at the next startup.
For more information see Recover user data missing after Firefox update or reinstall.
Note: If your bookmarks are not available in another Firefox profile, see Recover lost or missing Bookmarks for other solutions.