When opening Firefox it defaults to opening to it's last possition when closed. I need to disable this; i.e. always open in the same spot. Is there a way?
Need Firefox to always open to same position / size when opening and not default to whatever it's last position was when closed.
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.14
- Citrix Online App Detector Plugin
- Citrix Receiver Plugin (Win32)
- Citrix URL-Redirection Helper Plugin
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.45.2 for Mozilla browsers
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft SharePoint
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft Lync
- VMware Remote Console Plug-in
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
Need Firefox to always open to same position / size when opening
This part is unclear. What is your home page?
Type about:preferences#general<enter> in the address bar.
There are two settings;
- When Firefox Starts
When the browser is started, what do you want to display. Many of us choose Show My Home Page.
- Home Page
When a new page is opened, what do you want displayed.
- Use Current Page. Use what ever page(s) are open at that time.
- Use Bookmark
- Restore To Default. about:home shows a Mozilla home page with tools.
You can use any of these that you wish;
about:home (Firefox default home page), about:newtab (shows the sites most visited), about:blank (a blank page),
or you can enter any web page or about: page you want.
The windows position of the browser, i.e. the program window which is Firefox, not the web page.
It is usually the OS that places a window on the desktop in a specific position. Only if there are no other windows present then you get the Firefox window in the same position as previous closed, otherwise Windows might decide to move the window to a more convenient position to make all windows reachable. The size of the window should always be kept. If that isn't the case then check for problems with the xulstore.json file.
Try to rename (or delete) the xulstore.json file in the Firefox profile folder. You can use this button to go to the current Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder (Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder)
I have been using this extension - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/custom-geometry/ - for a number of years now, you might want to check it out. When Firefox is launched the browser window will open into the "last used" position, but CG "snaps" it into what I have it set to - both the exact position and the exact "restored down" size I prefer. The toolbar button is a little flaky (it went thru two major Firefox UI / toolbar button changes and wasn't "fixed" after either), but you only need to use that button to "restore" the original setting if you changed the window size or position - or used an alternative setting option. One warning though, when you install GC and restart Firefox the browser window will be way off-screen to the right - the developer must have been using a wide screen TV for a monitor. Open up Options for GC thru the Addon Manager and create your own settings and then delete the default settings.