Process manager missing some open pages
I often use the process manager to find open tabs, since only the front one in each open window shows up in the Window drop-down menu. (And I sure wish those windows would read as the WEBSITE and not the specific page name, as it often gives no help in knowing what website it is)
However, sometimes, like just now, it won't show one or more open tabs! Why? Today I was looking for my Google Voice Messages page, and did not see it anywhere in the list. I thought, maybe I had closed it, but when I manually scrolled through all my open windows, I found it on one of them! Can we not count on the process manager to show us all open tabs?
All Replies (2)
Task manager only shows running processes. The tab might have been unloaded, so it won't be consuming anything at that point.
This is my process list after session restore, i.e. only with the frontmost tabs loaded and the rest still unloaded — you can see none of the other tabs shown are listed in the processes as they haven't been loaded yet:
(The system menubar Window menu contents is pretty much driven by the macOS SDKs, so its utility is usually only defined by what Apple deems as valuable to have there, alas)… :(
That said, if you're looking for tabs, have you considered Firefox View - View all tabs from your recent browsing and history to search for tabs within windows? (It used to have a designated toolbar icon, now can be accessed from a few entrypoints elsewhere, or added back to the toolbar from its customization pane).