I can't get Firefox to restore bookmarks.
I've tried to import bookmarks from an export file created on another computer but Firefox says there are no bookmarks in the file -- clearly wrong since I see them and can click on them to go that site in Firefox.
I've also tried to restore them from Old Firefox Data but Firefox won't read those files either.
All Replies (1)
Hi acpierce,
If you can open the bookmarks in Firefox on the other computer, the first thing I would check is what type of file you exported. Firefox uses HTML files for importing bookmarks to another computer, while JSON/JSONLZ4 files are Firefox bookmark backups.
If you have an HTML file, try importing it with Bookmarks > Manage bookmarks > Import and Backup > Import Bookmarks from HTML.
If you have a JSON or JSONLZ4 backup, use Bookmarks > Manage bookmarks > Import and Backup > Restore > Choose File, then select the backup. Be aware that restoring a backup replaces the current bookmarks, so make a backup of your current bookmarks first.
Since you also have an Old Firefox Data folder, there may be another way to recover them. Firefox stores bookmark data in places.sqlite and automatic bookmark backups in the bookmarkbackups folder. You can also use the “Restore bookmarks, passwords and data from an old Firefox profile” article to recover data from that profile.
If you tell us the exact file extension of the export/backup you are trying to use (.html, .json, or .jsonlz4) and which operating system you're using, we can narrow this down.