Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Search bar somehow on dark mode?

ezrapucciarello13

I'm new to Firefox. I have everything set to light mode, which I am new to as well. When I open a new tab, the search bar at the top of the page is white like I want it; however, the search bar in the middle of the page is black no matter what I try to do. Any way to fix this? Both bars are set to the same search engine... I have a custom theme set but when I switch it to one of the default themes, the search bar is still black.

I'm new to Firefox. I have everything set to light mode, which I am new to as well. When I open a new tab, the search bar at the top of the page is white like I want it; however, the search bar in the middle of the page is black no matter what I try to do. Any way to fix this? Both bars are set to the same search engine... I have a custom theme set but when I switch it to one of the default themes, the search bar is still black.

All Replies (1)

That sounds like the New Tab search box picking up a dark content theme, even though Firefox itself is set to light. I’d try this first:

Type about:config in the address bar, search for layout.css.prefers-color-scheme.content-override, and set it to 3 (follow browser theme). Restart Firefox afterward. Mozilla documents that preference as controlling the light/dark appearance of page content.

If that doesn’t change the middle search box, it may simply be a Firefox New Tab styling bug.

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.