This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Firefox add-ons not disabling properly
I have an ad-blocker and other add-ons that may interfere/change the way some websites are loaded and due to the case of some websites not working properly and i really want to view them, i disable the add-ons but for some reason that although it does show up as disabled, even when i go though every add-on i have one by one and disable them i still get the webpage error, but when i go to "restart firefox with add-ons disabled" it disables the add-ons and the webpage works.
So what is the difference between "restart firefox with add-ons disabled" and going though all my add-ons disabling them all one by one.
I also delete all history and cache, exit firefox, start it back up and go to same webpage which is not loading just to be sure its a fresh webpage loading and not cache.
Although i have only just reported this now, it has been happening on and off for quite a while now, i just don't remember when exactly sorry.
All Replies (4)
Some addons do show up on the Add/Remove uninstall in Windows Control Panel. If they can't be disabled then you need to uninstall what software package installed them. And make sure to close the Browser when doing so.
Thanks for an answer but there is one problem with it... i'm using fedora linux "sorry about that" and i have not installed anything through the repositories that has anything to do with firefox and neither did it come preinstalled with anything but the base firefox software "so no add-ons", in all honesty i do think it's a problem with firefox and not the add-ons themselves though
Are you disabling the extensions via the Disable button on the about:addons page or do you use the Preferences of the extension?
You can reload web page(s) and bypass the cache to refresh possibly outdated or corrupted files.
- hold down the Shift key and left-click the Reload button
- press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
- press "Command + Shift + R" (Mac)
You can check the Web Console (Tools -> Web Developer) for messages about blocked content and about the presence of mixed or unsafe content.
You can check the Network Monitor to see if content is blocked or otherwise fails to load.
If necessary use "Ctrl+F5" or "Ctrl+Shift+R" (Mac: Command+Shift+R) to reload the page and bypass the cache to generate a fresh log.
I tried disabling every add-on 1 by 1 through add-on preferences - but that didn't work so i re-enabled them. Then i tried the "open menu - help - restart with Add-ons Disabled" - and that often works instead.
While i did have issues with mixed content previously - i did sort that problem out
I have used the " history - Clear recent history" with everything in time range and all options selected
Thankyou for you time and effort to reply and hopefully get this sorted. The other ones i will check back with you as i'm running out of time and need to go, be back with you in a few hours.