Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved

Which option to use when backing up Thunderbird

Placerville

Greetings,

I perform a daily thumb drive backup of Thunderbird in the event that my PC crashes (which it has) so I don't loose emails and contacts. I'm aware of two methods to do this. I've tried both, and one method saves more file folders than the other. My question is: Which is correct to use?

One method is described here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-export The other method is accessed from the main page of Thunderbird: Import/Export > Backup, select OK and then the location and folder where you want the data to be transferred.

The first method captures four main folders and other files listed below them. The second method captures ten folders and all of the same files as in the first method.

Because they are different, I'm unsure of which to use and, additionally, why would two methods be offered?

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice.

Greetings, I perform a daily thumb drive backup of Thunderbird in the event that my PC crashes (which it has) so I don't loose emails and contacts. I'm aware of two methods to do this. I've tried both, and one method saves more file folders than the other. My question is: Which is correct to use? One method is described here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-export The other method is accessed from the main page of Thunderbird: Import/Export > Backup, select OK and then the location and folder where you want the data to be transferred. The first method captures four main folders and other files listed below them. The second method captures ten folders and all of the same files as in the first method. Because they are different, I'm unsure of which to use and, additionally, why would two methods be offered? Thank you in advance for your comments and advice.

All Replies (7)

Chosen Solution

I'm glad that you're diligent about backing up. Many people neglect this and are then horrified when something inevitably goes wrong and they lose their precious stored messages.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by the "accessed from the main page of Thunderbird: Import/Export > Backup" method, but the article above describes two methods, one using Thunderbird's Export Tool, and the other doing it manually. Both methods work, though as it warns, the Export Tool might not be reliable if your profile is larger than 2 GB. Personally, I always do it manually because my profile is about 3.5 GB I'm confident that my method works. I also compress the backup to save storage space.

The built-in tool skips some files and folders that it deems unnecessary, that is, ones that are temporary or will be recreated upon demand.

Thank you, Ling

Regarding my comment that wasn't clear, on the top/right of Thunderbird when it opens, there is an Import/Export drop down box. Select that, and one of the options is 'Backup'. This method captures more folders than the method used in the link I provided.

Regarding your comment about doing the backup manually; based on what I'm seeing, that sounds more reliable and I've seen it suggested as, "Do it yourself" when doing my back up. As I'm not sure how to do that, can you provide the steps you use?

Thank you

In the article you referenced, see the section titled, "Creating a backup of large profiles." for one method. One thing it doesn't mention is, after you open your Profile folder, close down Thunderbird before copying the files.

There's also an add-on called "ImportExportTools NG" that includes many useful functions, including the ability to export/backup an entire profile:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools-ng/

Very good. Thank you!

For me its a simple backup if you know your way round windows C:\Users find your user name then C:\Users\_\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird backup and restore

One thing to keep in mind is on the day you backup you should download what the newest Thunderbird your using

Legacy,

Thank you and that's a good reminder. Making sure you have the latest version prior to a back up would be critical.

Legacy, if I may, a question for you....

Using your method, after you get to 'Thunderbird' here....

C:\Users\_\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird

do you then back up the entire Thunderbird file (which on my system contains: Crash Reports, Pending Pings and Profiles folders along with two other entries called 'profiles' and 'installs'), or do you open the Thunderbird folder and back up only the 'Profile' folder?

Thank you

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.