Knowledge Base discussions

Fx 20 Tech Writing Group - Workshop #3

1. Background: This is a workshop in our new Technical writing program. These are designed to guide participants though the entire documentation process.

Watch the video on YouTube (21min)

Now that we have our list of what needs to be documented (below), it's time to get started. All of the documentation that I talk about in the video can be accessed from this article - Improve the Knowledge Base.

Here's our final list of what needs to be documented:
    Desktop:

Mobile:

• Memory requirement down to 384MB
      • We have this existing doc - Will Firefox work on my mobile device?. We'll have to change the requirements. Also the list of supported devices will change (Roland, the Mobile support coordinator will provide that).
    • Customizable homepage - This is a new feature. You can now "pin" a site to the home page.
    • Private browsing - This is another new feature - similar to the desktop feature (Bug 582244).

Next I'd like to divide up the work among you all. I think having an Android device for reference will be pretty helpful for the customizable home page and private browsing articles. Do any of you have a Android device with Firefox? Please let me know.

By the way, Firefox 20 should be in Beta tomorrow.

<blockquote>'''Background:''' This is a workshop in our new [[Technical writing program]]. These are designed to guide participants though the entire documentation process.</blockquote> ==[http://youtu.be/biFYmiiuwjU Watch the video on YouTube] (21min)== Now that we have our list of what needs to be documented (below), it's time to get started. All of the documentation that I talk about in the video can be accessed from this article - [[Improve the Knowledge Base]]. Here's our final list of what needs to be documented:<br> '''Desktop:'''<br> *'''New download panel''' - [https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:P.A./Panel-based_Download_Manager/Status Here's some information about it (some is outdated).] **Here are some notes from the Product Marketing team: ***We're excited since this makes Firefox more usable - this change results in an improved download experience for all users ***Downloads won't get lost in the background, as they were likely to do before. "Recent downloads are easier than ever to find. They're just one click away." ***We're taking the "non name" approach here, meaning we're not calling it a "Download Manager" or anything prescriptive like that. **We have this existing article - [[Use the Downloads window to manage downloaded files]]. That article will probably have to be retitled and will need a good deal of updates (don't worry about new screenshots or a video). *'''Per window private browsing''' - This is a change in the way the existing feature works. [http://ehsanakhgari.org/blog/2012-11-30/per-window-private-browsing-ready-for-testing-now-2 Here is a blog post about it.] **We have this existing article - [[Private Browsing - Browse the web without saving information about the sites you visit]]. It will need some significant changes for Firefox 20 (don't worry about new screenshots or a new video). *'''Plug-in hang UI''' - This is new. [http://dblohm7.ca/blog/2012/11/22/plugin-hang-user-interface-for-firefox/ Here is a blog post about it.] Also, [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=805591 bug 805591]. **We don't have existing documentation about this. We should create something similar to [[Warning Unresponsive script - What it means and how to fix it]] **Once we have that article, we can mention it in [[Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix]] and [[Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems]]. '''Mobile:'''<br> *'''Memory requirement down to 384MB''' ** We have this existing doc - [[Will Firefox work on my mobile device?]]. We'll have to change the requirements. Also the list of supported devices will change (Roland, the Mobile support coordinator will provide that). *'''Customizable homepage''' - This is a new feature. You can now "pin" a site to the home page. **We don't have existing documentation about this. We should create something similar to the article for the similar [[New Tab Page – show, hide and customize top sites|desktop feature]]. **Once we have that article, we should also add something about it to [[Get started with Firefox for Android]]. *'''Private browsing''' - This is another new feature - similar to the desktop feature ([https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=582244 Bug 582244]). **We'll need to create a new article about this. **Once we have that article, we should also add something about it to [[Get started with Firefox for Android]]. '''Next I'd like to divide up the work among you all. I think having an Android device for reference will be pretty helpful for the customizable home page and private browsing articles. Do any of you have a Android device with Firefox? Please let me know.''' By the way, [http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/ Firefox 20 should be in Beta tomorrow.]
  2. I love to do mobile so I'll take the 384 mb change and device list change again. I will also take mobile private browsing. I have an Android device which I'm typing to you with it right now.

I love to do mobile so I'll take the 384 mb change and device list change again. I will also take mobile private browsing. I have an Android device which I'm typing to you with it right now.
  3. more options

I'd like the new download panel since I'm so charmed by it!

I'd like the new download panel since I'm so charmed by it!
  4. more options

Hi,
    I really don't know what I should go for!
    I could take the article about customizable homepage. I'm also attracted to the other two features (desktop):
    Per window private browsing and Plug-in hang UI, especially the latter that's new.
    Could I take any of these?

Hi, <br> I really don't know what I should go for!<br> I could take the article about customizable homepage. I'm also attracted to the other two features (desktop):<br> Per window private browsing and Plug-in hang UI, especially the latter that's new. <br> Could I take any of these? <br>
  5. feer56 said

I love to do mobile so I'll take the 384 mb change and device list change again. I will also take mobile private browsing. I have an Android device which I'm typing to you with it right now.

Hold up there a second. :)

This time I'd like to try to divide the work up evenly if I can and/or (in your case) have people try something new. But hearing what you're interested in is also good.

''feer56 [[#post-50970|said]]'' <blockquote> I love to do mobile so I'll take the 384 mb change and device list change again. I will also take mobile private browsing. I have an Android device which I'm typing to you with it right now. </blockquote> Hold up there a second. :) This time I'd like to try to divide the work up evenly if I can and/or (in your case) have people try something new. But hearing what you're interested in is also good.
  6. Sure! I let the first one go but keep the second one.

Sure! I let the first one go but keep the second one.
  7. Alrighty. I don't want to hold people up so let's do this:

• Andrew take the new mobile private browsing feature
    • Erin, you get the desktop download panel
    • Alex can have desktop plugin hang UI

That leaves:

• Desktop private browsing
    • Mobile customize home page
    • Mobile device requirements

Roshan, Swapnil and Irena, what are your preferences? Let me know.

Alrighty. I don't want to hold people up so let's do this: *Andrew take the new mobile private browsing feature *Erin, you get the desktop download panel *Alex can have desktop plugin hang UI That leaves: *Desktop private browsing *Mobile customize home page *Mobile device requirements Roshan, Swapnil and Irena, what are your preferences? Let me know.
  8. Alright. I need a some help with doing my part. Is the new feature on Aurora? If so, I'll download it onto my tablet and start documenting. Or, is there something like a simulator for Firefox for Android?

Alright. I need a some help with doing my part. Is the new feature on Aurora? If so, I'll download it onto my tablet and start documenting. Or, is there something like a simulator for Firefox for Android?
  9. feer56 said

Alright. I need a some help with doing my part. Is the new feature on Aurora? If so, I'll download it onto my tablet and start documenting. Or, is there something like a simulator for Firefox for Android?

Desktop Beta is 20 right now. Android Beta should be 20 very very soon (Android Aurora is already 21).

''feer56 [[#post-51001|said]]'' <blockquote> Alright. I need a some help with doing my part. Is the new feature on Aurora? If so, I'll download it onto my tablet and start documenting. Or, is there something like a simulator for Firefox for Android? </blockquote> [http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/ Desktop Beta is 20 right now.] [http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/beta/ Android Beta] should be 20 very very soon (Android Aurora is already 21).
  10. So, I should wait for Android Beta to be released and then I can start documenting?

So, I should wait for Android Beta to be released and then I can start documenting?
  11. Verdi, I think i will go for Desktop Private Browsing. I use FF in office for than 8 hrs a day. i think this will help me understand and document the same. Although, i would want you to to suggest me what should i go for as a beginner. The other two , Mobile customize home page , Mobile device requirements are as well fine. However, that may need extra time for me to put in. What do you suggest?

Verdi, I think i will go for '''Desktop Private Browsing'''. I use FF in office for than 8 hrs a day. i think this will help me understand and document the same. Although, i would want you to to suggest me what should i go for as a beginner. The other two , '''Mobile customize home page''' , '''Mobile device requirements ''' are as well fine. However, that may need extra time for me to put in. What do you suggest?
  12. feer56 said

So, I should wait for Android Beta to be released and then I can start documenting?

Firefox Beta for Android is Fx 20 now so knock yourself out. :)

roshan4074 said

Verdi, I think i will go for Desktop Private Browsing. I use FF in office for than 8 hrs a day. i think this will help me understand and document the same. Although, i would want you to to suggest me what should i go for as a beginner. The other two , Mobile customize home page , Mobile device requirements are as well fine. However, that may need extra time for me to put in. What do you suggest?

Roshan, go ahead and take desktop private browsing. Thanks!

''feer56 [[#post-51005|said]]'' <blockquote> So, I should wait for Android Beta to be released and then I can start documenting? </blockquote> Firefox Beta for Android is Fx 20 now so knock yourself out. :) ''roshan4074 [[#post-51022|said]]'' <blockquote> Verdi, I think i will go for '''Desktop Private Browsing'''. I use FF in office for than 8 hrs a day. i think this will help me understand and document the same. Although, i would want you to to suggest me what should i go for as a beginner. The other two , '''Mobile customize home page''' , '''Mobile device requirements ''' are as well fine. However, that may need extra time for me to put in. What do you suggest? </blockquote> Roshan, go ahead and take desktop private browsing. Thanks!
  13. I'll get a grip on it Thursday and Friday. I don't have time till then. Thanks!

I'll get a grip on it Thursday and Friday. I don't have time till then. Thanks!
  14. Hi Folks:

another FF release, another great thread here from the Tech Writing Group, thanks for your efforts and enthusiasm!

Looks like we missed the FF 20 Android feature: "Removed Quit from Menu to conform to Android":

Please add this to the list of articles to write for FF 20 for Android.

Thank-you!

...Roland

Hi Folks: another FF release, another great thread here from the Tech Writing Group, thanks for your efforts and enthusiasm! Looks like we missed the FF 20 Android feature: "Removed Quit from Menu to conform to Android": * https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=824507 * workaround install QuitNow add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/quitnow/?src=category Please add this to the list of articles to write for FF 20 for Android. Thank-you! ...Roland
  15. I actually have to drop what is assigned to me. I can't find time for it. If there is any editing left for desktop I might take it. Otherwise sorry, I can't do this.

I actually have to drop what is assigned to me. I can't find time for it. If there is any editing left for desktop I might take it. Otherwise sorry, I can't do this.
  16. feer56 said

I actually have to drop what is assigned to me. I can't find time for it. If there is any editing left for desktop I might take it. Otherwise sorry, I can't do this.

Hey Andrew,
    If you don't have time right now for such a big assignment why don't you take the mobile device requirement change? That one is pretty small.

''feer56 [[#post-51115|said]]'' <blockquote> I actually have to drop what is assigned to me. I can't find time for it. If there is any editing left for desktop I might take it. Otherwise sorry, I can't do this. </blockquote> Hey Andrew, <br> If you don't have time right now for such a big assignment why don't you take the mobile device requirement change? That one is pretty small.
  17. How is everyone doing? How can I help (short of adding extra hours to the day)? If you look on the calendar, the Firefox 20 doc phase ends on Monday. We're not going to finish by then but we do need to finish the Desktop private browsing and download panel work soon so localizers have time to work on it before the release (those article should get lots of traffic).

How is everyone doing? How can I help (short of adding extra hours to the day)? If you look on the [http://people.mozilla.org/~mverdi/calendar/ calendar], the Firefox 20 doc phase ends on Monday. We're not going to finish by then but we do need to finish the Desktop private browsing and download panel work soon so localizers have time to work on it before the release (those article should get lots of traffic).
  18. Hi Michael,

Yea, I guess I do the mobile requirement change unless Roshan is doing it already.

Thanks!

Andrew

Hi Michael, Yea, I guess I do the mobile requirement change unless Roshan is doing it already. Thanks! Andrew
  19. Hey Andrew,

I am not doing Mobile Requirement. I am going for Desktop Private Browsing. I will be starting this work tonight. You may go ahead with Mobile Requirement.

Roshan

Hey Andrew, I am not doing Mobile Requirement. I am going for Desktop Private Browsing. I will be starting this work tonight. You may go ahead with Mobile Requirement. Roshan
  20. Thank Roshan! Michael, ping me if you have the list of devices. I will change the device requirements soon.

Thank Roshan! Michael, ping me if you have the list of devices. I will change the device requirements soon.
  1. 1
  2. 2