Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Rohkem teavet
Open

Back button overshoots when a web form performs a POST to the same URL as the previous GET

RavuAlHemio

Greetings,

I am having this issue since Firefox 155.0.1 or a bit earlier (but overall rather recently) and I still encounter it with 156.

When a web page has a web form that performs a POST request without changing the URL, the behavior seems to have changed. Let's assume I have done the following:

1. I navigated to an overview page (GET https://example.com/overview). 2. I clicked on a link to a page with a form (GET https://example.com/formpage). 3. I filled out and submitted the form (POST https://example.com/formpage).

Now, when I click the Back button,

Can I somehow return to the previous behavior?

Thanks!

Greetings, I am having this issue since Firefox 155.0.1 or a bit earlier (but overall rather recently) and I still encounter it with 156. When a web page has a web form that performs a POST request without changing the URL, the behavior seems to have changed. Let's assume I have done the following: 1. I navigated to an overview page (GET https://example.com/overview). 2. I clicked on a link to a page with a form (GET https://example.com/formpage). 3. I filled out and submitted the form (POST https://example.com/formpage). Now, when I click the Back button, * previously, I was returned to the page with the form (GET https://example.com/formpage) * now, I am returned to the overview page (GET https://example.com/overview) Can I somehow return to the previous behavior? Thanks!

All Replies (1)

Hi, I think the "GET to POST" history entry not incrementing on the same path always worked like you observe now — I personally remember running into that years ago, and I've checked in v155, v152, v140, v128, v115 and all the way back to v88 and it behaves the same.

Are you sure the actual site code didn't change to have impact on what you're observing? This is the GET–to–POST scenario on the same URL in v152 behaving identically to today: 🎥 streamable.com/je7jzm (i.e. I can't go "back" from the POST result to the previous GET state of the form as it's not in the history stack; only the title changes in there after the submit…)

Küsimuse postitamine

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.