Why won't Firefox Delete my browsing history when I tell it to?
I am using version 27.0.1. When I attempt to "clear recent history", I follow the steps, and my browsing history remains.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.06
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Citrix URL-Redirection Helper Plugin
- Citrix Receiver Plugin (Win32)
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
Please ensure that you do not have an add-on or third party program that will prevent Firefox from deleting history.
This can also be the sign of malware or another infection.
Please scan your computer for infection. Here are some great free tools: Sometimes a problem with Firefox may be a result of malware installed on your computer, that you may not be aware of.
You can try these free programs to scan for malware, which work with your existing antivirus software:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner
- MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
- TDSSKiller - AntiRootkit Utility
- Hitman Pro
- ESET Online Scanner
Further information about issues caused by malware can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware article.
I ran a full scan with AVG; no threats found.
Please try starting Firefox safe mode and then deleting your history while in safe mode.
For more information about safe mode, please view this Mozilla help article.
Problems with bookmarks and history not working properly can be caused by a corrupted places.sqlite database file.
You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox profile folder.