How to disable hidpi on FireFox 22
I whish to know how to disable hidpi
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.7 r700
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.5"
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.124
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.21.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Unity Player 4.1.2f1
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Panda TotalScan Plugin for Firefox
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
The current Firefox release is Firefox 24.0, so make usre that you have the latest version.
You can find the full version of the latest Firefox 24.0 release in all languages and for all Operating Systems here:
Set the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx pref on the about:config page to 1.0 or on Windows 8 to 1.25 and if necessary, adjust layout.css.devPixelsPerPx starting with 1.0 in 0.1 or 0.05 steps (1.0 or 0.9) to make icons show correctly.
Use an extension to adjust the text size in the user interface and the page zoom in the browser window.
Use this extension to adjust the font size for the user interface.
- Theme Font & Size Changer: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/theme-font-size-changer/
You can look at the Default FullZoom Level or NoScript extension if web pages need to be adjusted after changing layout.css.devPixelsPerPx.
- Default FullZoom Level: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/default-fullzoom-level/
- NoSquint: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/nosquint/
Hi jalle007, what techniques did you use for tuning your toolbars and text sizes? Do you mean text sizes in the UI area of Firefox or in the content area?
I use default zoom ext and its working fine . MY bookmark toolbar was arranged to have all icons in one line. Now after this change they simply not fit. If I leave layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to -1 they simply dont fit as expected . I If I set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1 then they are too small.
I simply can't get same arrangement as I had on v21.
Can we have simply option in about:config to turn off this feature compeltely ?
Hi jalle007, I don't think there is any about:config option to turn off DPI scaling. Perhaps that will be added in a future version, or I would personally prefer to have two different DPI settings: one for the UI and one for the content.
With layout.css.devPixelsPerPx set to -1 your Bookmarks Toolbar icons will be zoomed according to your Windows zoom level. With layout.css.devPixelsPerPx set to 1 they should be at 100% (native image size). If that makes the icons too small, I wonder how you enlarged them before? What if you try an intermediate setting such as 1.1 (110% zoom)?
I tried entering values like 1.1 or 0-9 but none of them has no effect except 1 & -1. Now I noticed that many sites do not look right.
This is a real step backwards for FF users
I assume when Chrome 30/31 and IE 11 come, they will also be a big step backwards too. It should of had been like this anyways.
Set your DPI on windows to 1.0 or pixelsperpx to 1.0
Hi jalle007, using 1.1 should have a small effect (+10%) on all UI and context text and images. If you see no change at all, I wonder whether you might have another extension or userChrome.css/userContent.css rule that is conflicting?
There are some sites that sense your browser's reported resolution and resize things. The Facebook login page, for example, expands the logo hugely if you aren't using 100% zoom. But most sites should be easily fixable with the zoom feature.
Look I would go back to FF v21 but I can't - only because Flash plugin is crashing all the time
Now I am on v23 but I can't use it because all of the pages I open are distorted.
you should fix this FF or we all go to Chrome or other browser
this is crazy.
One think that worked since v1 - ACTUAL DISPLAYING THE PAGES now doesn't work in v23
Maybe v25 will bring us FF who doesn't support links, who knows :-/
Hi jalle007, the change in Firefox 22 should be consistent from site to site, i.e., larger text and images. Some issues that may cause distortions are:
- Using Text-only zoom. From the View menu make sure you don't have "Zoom Text Only" selected. (If you use the compact menu and orange Firefox button, tap the Alt key to display the classic menu bar temporarily so you can check the Zoom setting.)
- Old site-specific zoom levels saved by NoSquint. If you used the NoSquint extension to alter page zoom levels on a site-by-site basis prior to Firefox 22, those saved corrections may "overcorrect" in Firefox 23 and later.
If there are particular sites that can't be helped with zoom adjustments, could you mention a few URLs?
You can rename the content-prefs.sqlite file to content-prefs.sqlite.old (or delete the file) in the Firefox profile folder to reset the page zoom for all websites.
Note that this will remove other site specific settings.
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder (Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder)
Modified by cor-el