Nightlyupdates install before upening so I freuently wait as long as three minutes before I can use it. Why not update like Firefox??
When Firefox updates it opens the current program then updates the disk images so the program opens quickly and you get the update on your next invocation. Nightly updates before opening and on the laptop where I run it this can take 3 minutes or longer. Why not use the same update paradigm for both Firefox and nightly??
Nightly is running on a Samsung laptop under Windows 7
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- Google Update
- McAfee MSS+ NPAPI Plugin
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Extension Manager is installed on this machine.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_37 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.2"
- Zeon PDF Plugin For Mozilla
- Photodex Presenter Plugin 4,52,0,3048
- Wacom Dynamic Link Library
- DivX Web Player version 220.127.116.11
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
Are you running the most recent nightly? With it set to use a background service and install updates automatically? Then it should be updating silently. (Note that due to it's nature nightly does update every night, so daily updates are to be expected)
It is set to update automatically and while daily updates are expected, yesterday alone there were three which cost me upwards of 10 minutes. How do I set the update in background?
Tools > Options > Advanced > Update: "Use a background service to install updates"
There should be a maintenanceservice_installer.exe in the Nightly program folder to install the latest version of the background update service for the Nightly version.
The service can be uninstalled separately; it shows up as a new item under add/remove programs.
So you can try to uninstall and reinstall it.