hinting of newest version of Shockwave Flash plugin [suggestion]
I just used Firefox's plugin checking tool (the one at https://www.mozilla.org/plugincheck/ ) and I got Potentially vulnerable plugins: Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183 Outdated Version
I'm using linux (GNU/Linux) and I know that there is a version for my system with higher number available (currently 11.2.y.z) but 11.2 series Adobe Flash Player don't work on my computer. The version I'm using is 10.3.183.67 which is no older than 22.214.171.1243 (newest of 11.2 according to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html ). Since some linux users can't use flash player version number higher than 11.1 I suggest to take that into account that there can be an up-to-date version of 10 series.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183
- The IcedTea-Web Plugin executes Java applets.
- Mime Type x-skype for Skype Buttons
- This plugin provides integration with Gnome Shell for live extension enabling and disabling. It can be used only by extensions.gnome.org
- The Totem 3.4.1 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- DivX Web Player version 126.96.36.199
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:17.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0
It is probably best to use something like http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to check the version installed, and version available.
IIRC there may be plans to deprecate the existing checker.
There have been known issues with the PluginChecker, it should by now have been updated.
- Bug 845792 - Update plugincheck for Flash 11.6.602.171 on Windows/Mac (fixed 1st March)
- Bug 820433 - Flash 11.5.502.135 is declared as obsolete in plugincheck despite being the latest version (An issue from December)
Using plugin checker on my Lynux (Ubuntu) system I am currently getting the correct results.
Modified by John99