Firefox 17 freezes when loading facebook, but other browsers work
I've tried resetting Firefox, doing a complete uninstall and reinstall (including deleting the user profile and checked for an orphaned registry) scanned for malware (with no detected malware), but Firefox still hangs when I try to run facebook. I can use IE 9 and Chrome fine, but Firefox just sits there and the curser spins.
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/23.0.1271.97 Safari/537.11
I'm having the same issue using the Firefox 18 beta. Anytime I visit the Facebook home page, I have to Force Quit the browser.
If I go to someone's Facebook page directly, it works fine. Seems to just be the News Feed.
Try the Firefox Safe Mode to see how it works there. The Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)
- You can open the Firefox 4.0+ Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you use the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- Or use the Help menu item and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.
Don't select anything right now, just use "'Start in Safe Mode" To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before using the Firefox shortcut (without the Shift key) to open it again. If it is good in the Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one.
Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.
Safe mode did nothing to help me. Still loads about half way, then freezes the browser completely.
The problem with Java..
The issues will be solved soon
I have this problem but with Firefox 19.0. It has only just started though. Facebook starts to load, gets half way there & then freezes. I have to bring up Task Manager and End Program as it is "Not Responding". I have tried Safe Mode and the same thing happens. Please help - I have had to use Google Chrome, but it doesn't load the whole page - not the desktop. My Java is up to date too.
You can check for problems with current Flash plugin versions and try these:
- disable a possible RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension for Firefox and update the RealPlayer if installed
- disable protected mode in Flash 11.3 and later
- disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin