how to install firefox v6 without losing bookmarks and addons from v3?
i am using firefox v3.6.21. i would like to try v6.01. how do i install the new firefox without losing my bookmarks and addons?
Additional System Details
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_25 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20110830 Firefox/3.6.21
If it is done as an update, you would be using the same profile.
When reinstalling Firefox from a download (http://www. mozilla.com), Firefox must be down once the installation starts. When the installation finishes, don't let the install start firefox for you. Instead end the install and start Firefox in your normal manner, thus preventing creation of a new profile which does not have your bookmarks cookies, etc (but your old profile would still be around and would).
After the install completes start Firefox in you normal manner.
Get in the habit of closing Firefox properly, by using File > Exit, or the new Firefox button > Exit, and not by closing with the "X" in the upper right which just closes the Window. When the installation starts and you have properly attempted to close Firefox, you may still have to check that Firefox is down through the Windows Task Manager ("Ctrl+Shift+Esc" on Windows 7) using the Processes tab. Closing Firefox properly will usually work but sometimes it will still hang in there due to sub processes.
Please mark "Solved" one answer that will best help others with a similar problem -- hope this was it.
Modified by David McRitchie
Thank you for the input. It worked perfectly & took 2 minutes. Now it all works again!!