Changing Search Engine in Firefox
Version 5.0 in Firefox. I can ONLY use yahoo search engine, nothing else. I DESPISE YAHOO...please help. Thanks.
Additional System Details
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Tried everything to no avail...Yahoo is my default no matter what I do. I have used Firefox continuously for years without this problem...
Are you displaying the Firefox search bar or the Yahoo search bar. You can tell if it is yahoo, by hiding the Yahoo toolbar "Alt+V" > View > Toolbars > hide yahoo toolbar
Are searches at the location bar bringing up yahoo or google results.
If you have the Yahoo Toolbar and don't want it, first uninstall it.
- The search.URL is what is used for location bar searches
Verify that you are looking at the Firefox search bar
- click on the favicon at the left of the search bar, do you see your search engines,
if so click on the one you want.
- If not at the bottom is "Manage Search Engines", you can click on that for the default set of about 5 search engines.
If you had a lot more then the original set delete your search.sqlite and your search.json files in your profile with Firefox down, which should bring back all of your installed engines in alphabetical order from the searchplugins folder in your profile. Use the "Manage Search Engines: to rearrange their order.
of search interest
- Google is the search engine shown on the page. I DON'T want Google to be the search engine.
- using different search engines
- is there a way that when I press enter to search, it comes up in a new tab, rather on the page I am using?
Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
I have done all this and still (even in Safe Mode) Firefox INSISTS upon using yahoo as my search engine.
My patience is wearing thin with Firefox 5.0 :-(
OK, after saving my bookmarks I un-installed Firefox 5.0 then re-installed the same.
Hey presto !
I now have Google as my default search engine and no sign of yahoo anywhere...I am happy again :-)
Thanks to those who replied xxx