Firefox needs option, when set true, prompts YES/NO at load of each unsigned add-on encountered, to allow it, thus solving "THE PROBLEM" with mandatory signing.
Firefox needs option, when set true, prompts YES/NO at load of each unsigned add-on encountered, to allow it, thus solving "THE PROBLEM" with mandatory signing. This should allow everybody with unsigned add-on to continue to function with minor hassle, while protecting the supposed security that mandatory (read forced) signing supposedly provides.
The message could be composed as a warning, that to reply "Y" (or "YES" if developers think it best) would bypass signing for this plug-in, and will prevent Mozilla from protecting against this plugin being bogus, etc. Anyway, a warning message.
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.17
- Citrix Online App Detector Plugin
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Live Update v1.3
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Shockwave Flash 22.0 r0
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
And how do I get this suggestion to the powrs that be, to implement this, so that we can all be satisfied Firefox users that have upgraded to FF48?
I am running an old version of Evernote clipper, that works fine for my purposes, but it is from prior to signing, and I don't know if I can get it signed, or what. Otherwise, without my suggested option, I will be very unhappy with Mozilla, as many are, due to the signing being forced on users AND DEVELOPERS. Help! Thanks!
What is it about "mandatory" that you don't grasp?
You can use the "unbranded" 48.0 build, which is labeled "Nightly".
firefox-48.0.en-US.win32-add-on-devel.installer.exe 41M 26-Jul-2016 15:53
I doubt a carefully thought out strategy will be changed. But we are just users like yourself so posting here is not going to get attention form 'The Powers that be. Post a simple comment as feedback
- Use Menu -> Help -> Submit Feedback
- Interactive viewer for submissions is here: input.mozilla.org
Or try to find somewhere on the main Mozilla fora/mailing lists where it is considered on topic
As the-edmeister points out it has to be manadatory to work. If you have the option to opt out then the problem with unsigned addons continues. If you really need an unsigned addon use a pre release Developer Edition or the unbranded Release.
Or possibly there is an alternative addon, or someone able to take over and get the original addon updated and signed. Yes this is going to cause inconvenience in the short term but it makes Fireox a lot safer in future.
I do not use pocket, but does that do something similar to evernote ?
- Save web pages for later with Pocket for Firefox
- or search for instance https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/search/?q=clips&appver=48.0&platform=windows
Please also see official Blogs
- Introducing Extension Signing: A Safer Add-on Experience (2015) https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/02/10/extension-signing-safer-experience
- The Case for Extension Signing https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/04/15/the-case-for-extension-signing/
- Add-on Signing Update (January) https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/01/22/add-on-signing-update/
I note that the blogs already have multiple comments
What is it about "mandatory" that you don't grasp? You can use the "unbranded" 48.0 build, which is labeled "Nightly". https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing#Unbranded_Builds http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/tinderbox-builds/mozilla-release-win32-add-on-devel/1469543944/ firefox-48.0.en-US.win32-add-on-devel.installer.exe 41M 26-Jul-2016 15:53
I don't believe the new unbranded version is a nightly version. Are you sure? I might be wrong, but I believe there is an unbranded version that is supposed to have been created, that is supposed to be the same as the general released version. But that is a big hassle for many, since it does not auto update, etc.
If I install the unbranded version, will it pick up and use the profile, config settings, and bookmarks (all the Firefox files) I already have set up on my standard 47.0.1 version?
I said it is "labeled" as Nightly. Same "theme" / icon-pack as building from source. IMO, a lack of creativity by not coming up with a unique name and unique icon.
See for yourself by installing it.