This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Safe Mode does not connect to any sites
I'm trying Firefox in Safe Mode to rule out some add-on issues, and when Firefox gets into Safe Mode... no websites load. It's stuck at "Connecting..." for all websites. Google, AOL, mozilla.org, etc. Nothing happens. It just sits there loading. This is a brand new profile.
All Replies (2)
Do a malware check with several malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
Please scan with all programs because each program detects different malware. All these programs have free versions.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller:
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
It looks like this issue is valid for (some) Nivida hardware/software only and concerns some DNS lookup issues, which is tracked by bug 1243237 and some duplicates.
- Could you first check if e.g. http://126.96.36.199 (www.google.com) does work?
- If so, could you try to see what happens when visiting www.google.com after using History > Clear Recent History > Cache ? (Select "All" in the Time range to clear drop-down)
- When no change, could you add an entry in about:config for a new Integer called network.dnsCacheExpiration and set the value to 0 (zero) to see if that helps?
1. Type "about:config" in the location bar and press Enter. 2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!" 3. Right-click anywhere in the window, hover your mouse cursor on "New" and select "Integer." 4. Type "network.dnsCacheExpiration" and click on the "OK" button. 5. Type "0" (zero) and click on "OK." 6. Restart Firefox.
And of course, could you please report back on previous and other hints even if they don’t help?